cracked foundation

Old 06-26-06, 01:18 PM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
cracked foundation

I am looking to buy a property that is a fixer-upper. I noticed that the one wall had a foundation crack. It is relatively long but there really does not seem to be much shifting. What can be done to resolve/stop any further damage?

Thank you

Old 06-27-06, 04:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would have a Structural Engineer look at it if you are concerned. I was about to buy a house that 3 walls in the basement had a crack and the walls and were pushing in and would spew water through when it rained. Not good! It would have cost about 8-10k to fix the walls, so we passed on that house.

Old 06-27-06, 10:53 AM
O
I personally would avoid a house that has suspicious foundation cracks or buttress walls (hiding foundation problems). I have made this mistake and donít want to repeat it. On the other hand, some people like the challenge.

Good luck

Old 06-27-06, 02:40 PM
cracked foundation

Have an engineer determine the cause of the crack AND whether it is active or incative.

It may be a shrinkage crack due to wet concrete or a cold joint due to poor concrete placement and workmanship. - Or it could be a severe structural problem.

If you really like the house, pay for the engineer. Do not let the seller pay, since then he controls the report and all conversation between him and the engineer are private.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: