Fixing water problem in crawlspace

Old 07-23-06, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My wife and I bought our house 1 year ago, it was new construction and we loved the layout and location. Since then, we have found that there is an accumulation of water in the very lowest corner of the crawlspace after it rains. This area is about the size of the bedroom above it, fortunately the rest of the crawlspace stays dry. There is a vapor barrier, but it has been pulled apart in some places and the ground is exposed. The builder is AWFUL, I have called 30 times and he says he is going to take care of the issue but never has. I am about to give up and try to address the problem myself. I know that water under the house is bad news, and while I am certain that we won't remain here for the rest of our lives (maybe another 5-10 years tops), I need to get the area under the house suitable enough for the next owners. The problem is that we are a young couple and don't have a lot of disposable income for fixing problems that shouldn't even exist with a brand new house. This is our first house, so next time we will definitely know what to look for before we buy.

So any suggestions on how to take care of this problem? It doesn't have to be perfect, just adequate. We are paying back student loans and credit card debt incurred when we were in grad school, so we definitely are looking for a solution that is not too expensive. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks for your replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-06, 07:21 AM
.....anyone?

Old 07-25-06, 07:53 AM

The first thing to do is make sure you have long downspout extensions (8-10') and that the drainage is away from the house. This is the easiest, cheapest and most positive thing to do.

Replace the torn vapor barrier and tape the seams to reduce the humidity under your home.

That is a start. After everything is corrected, you can re-evaluate the crawl space situation.

I your home is still under guarantee, notify the builder in WRITING that you have a problem. Then he will have to respond.

Dick