Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mid atlantic waterproofing

is this company a good waterproofing company,has any1 used them

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dsifer
I had them come out for an estimate...they wanted $18,000 to waterproof my house. I had a local waterproofer do it for $3,000 and I have no more water problems.
Stavs

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-07 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Bash removed.
Old 10-03-06, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did they do that for you by digging around your foundation?? If so that is cheap as hell. I have a minor water problem in my basement. When I bought the house last Oct. a Hurricane reminent hit us. We had streams, puddles and ponds in the basement. There was 1" styrofoam on the walls. Well I took that all off and found the cinder block was desintigrated in spots. So I used a wire brush and putty knife and scraped and brushed the crap out of it, patched it and then put a coat of dry loc on it. It helped a lot. Some of the walls still leak slightly but now it is coming up through the cracks in the floor like where they ran the main water line into the house and other mics. cracks like where they barried the fuel oil line from the tank to the furnace which is about 6 ft. So what would be my best bet in fixing that. A french drain and sump pumps or to have someone come in and dig down to the footer(if one) on my wall and waterproof that way. I wouldn't be finishing my whole basement but could make a room down there! Thanks

Old 10-03-06, 03:00 PM
Mid came in and took a look. They were the first ones I called, they had the biggest ad. The guy comes in, starts looking outiside the house and notices the corner of the house is broken up. He starts with the scare tactics, and I listen and then we go up to discuss the situation. He tells me about digging outside (very expensive) and then tells me about the interior perimeter system. Sounds good, sounds like it will work. He then gets to the pricce. $18k...I was like no way. He starts in with financing etc, and just pute on the heavy sales. Before I got him out, the price dropped to $12k. I called another Basement Systems, they offer the same thing but he comes in at $4500, all this while badmouthing MidAtl. Thed third guy, the local, comes in, looks around, tells me the same stuff as the others, and uses the same system, offers $3000. What he ended up doing was installing the perimeter system. He jackhammered all inside the perimeter, nstalled his pipes and crushed rock, and then connected to the sump. He then covered everything back up with concrete. Great guy to work with, and the system works like a dream. In two years I have had no water in my home. My sump works a lot, but its due to the high water table. I am exstatic with the system.

Old 10-03-06, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you think that a french drain would take care of my water problem? I am going to say about 75% of my water comes up through the floor.

Old 10-03-06, 06:29 PM
mid atlantic waterproofing

First, make all the corrections outside and above ground that are necessary. - Gutters, downspouts, downspout extensions and grading.

Drain tile and a sump inside the foundation wall does a much better job of reducing the water coming through the floor cracks and the joint between the wall and the floor. It also does a very good job where you cannot or do not want to excavate outside the wall.

Dick

Old 10-03-06, 06:30 PM
I had water through the floor and it solved it. I would recommend you have a local come out and look. Ask around, get references. Doesnt cost a dime to have them look and talk to you. Definitely want a pros opinion.

Old 10-03-06, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
First, make all the corrections outside and above ground that are necessary. - Gutters, downspouts, downspout extensions and grading.
You definitely want to do what Dick said first. I did all those and still had problems...it was frustrating & time consuming, but had the potential to save me money. My problem is a high water table and I'm at the bottom of a mountain and get al lthe runoff.

Old 10-05-06, 07:42 AM
I had this done and got about 10 quotes before proceding.

NONE of them offered exterior work, but almost all of them
"mock offered" it as a scare tactic.

$3000-$4000 by a local guy is about right.

Midatlantic was high priced. 12k is ridiculous. If you can get him
to 7k or 8k, you'd be lucky, but still the local guy is probably better.

Your best bet is to check out bbbonline and check their customer service record for any open complaints. Many of these companies offer "lifetime" warranties, however, if they have only been in business for 1-4 years and have a lot of complaints, chances are they won't be around to honor any lifetime warranty.

http://www.bbbonline.org/consumer/

Finally, "Basement Systems" seems like a reputable company (even though they bad-mouthed many other companies), but I don't like their installation method. Their drainage sits ABOVE the footer, so if you have a high water table, you will more likely than not have a damper basement than someone who does the full job and lays the pipes alongside the footer. The lower the pipes, the less water under your house, and the less capillary action through your floor.

All of the companies except one went through great lengths to badmouth other companies. Most of the companies tried to give you high pressure sales by saying "Take this offer now. Once I walk out the door, the price goes up."

Any reputable company will offer you a price that will be valid even after they leave your house.

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-07 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Bash removed.
Old 10-05-06, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by hammer
Any reputable company will offer you a price that will be valid even after they leave your house.
My estimate was good almost a year later with the local guy. Also, I asked him about lifetime warranty, and he kind of laughed. I asked why he was laughing. He said, well, its my own business, so as long as I'm alive its good!

Stavs

Old 10-09-06, 05:29 PM
S
Post French drain

I am in a high water table area with a stream across the street in a park and had water in my basement everytime there was heavy rain. The water mostly came up through the cracks in the floor. Had the french drain put in. I went with Basement Doctor who advertise they use their own crews and do not sub-contract the work. They were the highest bid but I felt confident with their system and the fact that they use their own crews. Well, a local sub-contractor came out to do the work (I was so pissed) and ended up doing a mediocre job. I have not had any water in my basement since the system was put in (what a relief!!) but the mixture of concrete they used to cover up the pipes was not properly mixed so in some areas it can be scraped off with your nails. Othere areas there is moisture coming through the new concrete but it never gets to the point where it puddles up. It just gets darker in color. The concrete has cured for over a year so that is not the problem. They will be coming back to redo/ fix the problem.

The curious thing about the system is that my sump pump never turns on. It has never turned on the entire time it has been installed and there has never been any water collecting in the pipes (I have 4 clean-outs in the system that I checked everytime there was a major rain). The pump is working and there is water in the sump but it the original water that we placed in it to test it out. I am not complaining about this since I have not had the 2 inches of water in my basement since the installation but I am curious as to where the water that once came up through my slab is going? I guess the pressure relief holes drilled in the bottom course of the concrete block has been working, not allowing the water to building up in the blocks. The rains we had in my area this past year were worse than past years where we had constant water problems so the french drain system worked for me!

Old 10-24-06, 01:47 PM
J
Originally Posted by Dsifer
The problem I had was relatively small. The builder screwed up and left a 2'' piece of pvc pipe in the foundation 5 ft below grade. My guess is that it was intended to be used for the well pipe. I got quotes from 5 different waterproofong companies to fix the problem. I wanted a solution that would involve digging down 5 ft from outside foundation wall and using hydraulic cement to patch the hole and apply a couple of coats of waterproofing tar to the wall.Only one company offered to fix it this way and quoted me $3000.

The salesman from mid atlantic comes out to the house and I show him the hole in the wall that I wanted fixed. He recommends a french drain around the whole perimeter of the interior basement for $12,000. I asked how this would alleviate the water coming in through the hole in wall. He says something to the effect that there would be less pressure on the inside wall. I pointed out to him that the house already had a french drain system. I showed him where the drain tile entered the sump pit. He said that it must be clogged. I told him that the sump pump hasn't turned on once since I bought the house and that the house was only 4 years old.

He ignores these points and says that during the construction the workers must have damaged the system when they installed it. He then pulls out a gadget that measures moisture in contrete and proceeds to take readings from different areas of the concrete wall. I told him thanks for coming out and that I was still getting estimates for the work. Bottom line... I ended up fixing it myself. Took a week off from work and dug down to the hole, cleaned it out and patched it with hydralic cement. Applied roofing tar reinforced with fiberglass. Let this dry for a day and then coated the whole thing 3 times with foundation waterproofing.

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-07 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Bash removed.
Old 03-21-07, 06:32 AM
M
Mid-Atlantic Waterproofing

As with all of these waterproofing companies, they are all in for the sale. I agree with the note above regarding checking out any company with the BBB you will be dealing with. Or, in some states, there are state regulating agencies that track complaints, etc...From what I checked out for Mid-Atlantic Waterproofing with the BBB, they install a lot of jobs. So, per the BBB, they did have complaints, but, all were resolved. To me, that is a good sign of a quality company that stands behind their warranty. And, being in business for many many years is a good sign as well.

Old 03-21-07, 08:54 AM
C
I used mid atlantic in November after my sump pump failed and there was a foot of water in my basement. Also, I knew there was a ton of water in my walls (cinderblock walls) due to the damp, musty smell. I used to dread opening the basement door because the dank smell was so strong. Well they came in and in one day drilled out ventilation holes in all the cinderblocks, added all new drainage pipes in the floor and brought my floor back to the walls (I had french drains) and cemented over the work. They also drilled out and installed a new sump pump with a dual battery back-up system.

The damp, musty smell is COMPLETELY gone and I've yet to see any silverfish/daddy long legs down there since they did the job. Haven't had a drip of water in the basement all winter. It's actually a pleasure to go down there now.

They can be expensive (I paid $7800 for a 800 sq.ft basement) but they're professional and the waterproofing guarantee covers me and the next owner if I ever sell my home. They were recommended to me by a friend who had his basement done and I can't say I regret having them do the job. I've had a few questions about finishing my basement after they did their waterproofing job and a representative was always there to speak to.

Old 03-21-07, 09:43 AM
Angry Stay away

I had water seeping into my basement and had their so called engineer come out to estimate. They gave me a first estimate of $30,000 after telling us the house would be in danger of collapsing if we did not act fast. He told us they could have someone out in the morning and if we did not act now, they would be too busy if we delayed.

Their idea to correct the problem was to install a "french drain". All he did was walk around the basement with a moisture meter that beeped and buzzed at everything it came near. It would have done the same thing on the Sun.

The Engineer/salesman lowered his estimate to $5,000 before I reported his attitude and pushiness to his company and all they offered to do was send out their "Chief Engineer" to reevaluate the water problem.

I decided to do a thorough investigation as to why I was getting water in my basement an found that the gutter downspout was cracked right at the foundation of the house. The water pretty much was gushing at the foundation wall and made its way into the basement. I went to home depot for some pvc and replaced downspout and did minor cement patch at foundation wall. Since repair 9months ago, there has been absolutely no water seepage in the basement.

They send salespeople and not engineers to peoples homes to . It cost me about $50.00 for something they originally estimated at $30,000.

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-07 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Bashing and cussing removed.
Old 03-23-07, 03:59 PM
D
they told me my house was going to fall down in a few months,this was 1year ago and the house is still standing...and btw the leak was from a small porch crack that i fixed myself..f these guys

Old 03-26-07, 01:27 PM
E
Mid-Atlantic

First off, I must disclose that I worked for Mid Atlantic Waterproofing. I want to make everybody aware of the "MIDAMD" post, as that is a Mid Atlantic exec from the Maryland office who failed to disclose that information.

Regarding basement waterproofing, the best bet is to go with a Basement Waterproofing company, not just a "local guy." Normally, waterproofing a basement is a routine process. Sometimes however, it's not so clear cut.

Be wary of jackhammers as the impact can actually crush your footer. It also creates so much vibration that it can cause cracking in your foundation as well as through out the rest of your home. A solution for this is using a rotary hammer (looks like a jackhammer but plugs into the wall and has a controlled motion) as well as leaving tab of the floor in tact to support the wall as the work is done. These tabs act as a brace, preventing a foundation wall from caving in (it's happened in more than one instance where waterproofing was done, the most recent being over the summer in Ontario).

Secondly, typically problems exist in the walls as well as beneath the floor (even more typical is the wall problem without a condition under the floor). A french drain does not remove the pressure from behind the walls.

Check with the BBB. Regardless of how many jobs a year a company does, they should have a good record with the organization. However, the BBB is so toothless that is practically pointless for members to join. Your best protection is not the BBB but rather a good contract with a company you trust.

Waterproofing your home is different than buying a car. You are not looking for a 5 to 7 year fix or low maintenance costs. A home is the biggest investment most of us ever make. To treat it right and fix the problem properly, it may be worth a couple thousand dollars over what the local guy will do it for.

Old 03-26-07, 07:39 PM
That's fine, but when a company (Mid Atlantic Waterproofing) has the same solution for all wet basement woes, then maybe the local companies are better. They are downright dishonest when they don't properly diagnose each individual situation and provide the appropriate remedy.

Originally Posted by exbsmtguy View Post
Regarding basement waterproofing, the best bet is to go with a Basement Waterproofing company, not just a "local guy." Normally, waterproofing a basement is a routine process. Sometimes however, it's not so clear cut.

Closed Thread