Construction of bathroom and kitchen in basement

Old 08-30-06, 06:03 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Construction of bathroom and kitchen in basement

Hello,

I would like to install a bathroom and a kitchen in the basement. The mason is going to install a trench(French drain I think it's called) around perimeter of basement leading to sump pump (basement always has had water problem). Sewer pipe hangs from ceiling in basement will need to move sewer pipe maybe run waste pipe straight out of wall into ground(so that it does not hang from ceiling) and reconnect to where sewer pipe comes from street. My question or questions are: what is the best way to install a shower and toilet and sink in basement? since the mason is going to jack hammer a trench around the perimeter of the basement should the mason be doing anything else for me so that I could have the plumber install the toilet and shower/sink? What is the best way to do a bathroom and kitchen in a basement? Should the mason dig a trench for drains or should the waste be pumped up and out? What is the best way do go about all of this if it were your project? Thank you.

Old 08-30-06, 12:33 PM
T
I'm just a DIYer, so do with this what you will....

Do I understand that your main waste pipe does not exit through the basement floor (
run waste pipe straight out of wall into ground(so that it does not hang from ceiling) and reconnect to where sewer pipe comes from street.
)?

If it does NOT exit through the floor, I think you are pretty much stuck with one of those toilets that pumps waste UP to the waste line.

It if DOES exit throught the floor, then I would locate the waste pipe under the concrete, and have the mason go ahead and cut the conrete from the waste line to where you want the the new bathroom to be located. You can finish the trench once the concrete is cut.

You CAN cut the concrete yourself but its a lot of hard labor. As long as the masion is coming in to cut the conrete anyway, you might as well have him do this for you. I think it would be well worth it!

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 08-30-06, 01:33 PM
L
Thank you for your reply.

The waste pipe does not exit through the floor. Waste pipe exits
through the far wall.

I guess I am stuck with finding some way of pumping waste from shower and sink and toilet up and out through waste pipe. Waste pipe will have to be rerouted through a different wall into the ground and match it up with sewer pipe that comes from street.

Thank you I appreciate your time.

Le

Old 08-30-06, 04:21 PM
You are not "stuck finding a way". There are specific solutions to this common problem in the form of septic basins and sewage pumps that work incredibly well. Some models even feature battery backup allowing facility usage even in the event of a power outage.

Old 08-30-06, 05:36 PM
T
Building codes dictate what must be done. These tend to vary from area to area. Any changes in structure require a building permit and inspections. Plumbing and electrical tend to require inspections in most areas. Your local building inspector can be a wealth of helpful info.

Old 08-31-06, 07:09 AM
L
Construction of bathrooom and kitchen in basement.

Thanks again to everyone.

Le

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: