Basement -

Old 09-04-06, 09:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Basement -

I have a basement in the house, which is below the stairs. There is no windows, and thus no natural lighting. The only way air comes in is through the staircase railing. There is also a room ( no windows too) in the basement.
Any suggestions on how to decorate, improvise the basement ?
I want to make it brighter, livelier.
Please help .
Thanks.

Old 09-05-06, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Cutting a hole for a window or two is not exactly a diy thing to do, as it will require shoring up the wall where the window will go, and cutting a hole, placing a header/lintel over it and installing the window. But, once that is done, and you have sufficiend light and air circulation, then you could either paint the block with bright colored paint, or build walls with sheetrock, and paint or wallpaper them.

Old 09-05-06, 05:09 AM
E
Halogen lighting is a very natural looking light.
Check codes before creating a liveable area in the basement. You may need a secondary egress if you make the basement a liveable area.

Old 09-05-06, 06:50 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can install "faux" windows with an outdoor scene painted behind the frame. Install lighting behind the frame.
Use light color paint on the walls, and ceiling. I like lots of recessed lighting in a basement because the fixtures don't intrude on limited headspace. Mirrors also brighten a room and can make a room look larger.
As EM69 said, local codes may require a second means of egress if the basement is turned into a living space.

Old 09-05-06, 08:18 AM
My mom had glass blocks windows w/air vent installed. But this was in an existing window opening. It did allow air and natural light in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: