New basement wall questions

Old 10-14-06, 04:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New basement wall questions

I building a new basement wall that goes perpendicular to my heating ducts. This will be about 20 feet long, so I have 2 questions. first, getting a 20 foot piece of 2x4 is not easy so can I use 2 10 foot pieces for the top and botton plate and somehow join them to make a 20 foot top and bottom plate ?

Second question, on another section of wall I need to build it parallel to the joists. I've seen pics of blocking where you cut a 2x4 and nail it in between the joists then nail a top plate to the blocking. So my question is must the blocking go between the joists, or can I make the blocking board 3 inches longer and nail it on the joists (instead of in between them).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Your bottom plate should be pressure treated and will be fastened to the floor via either Tapcon screws or powder actuated fasteners, so the length is not critical. It is best to have them end directly under a stud when possible. The top plate, on the other hand, is a double plate comprised of offsetting different lengths of lumber. Studs are cut to take into consideration a single bottom plate and a double top plate. You would offset the joints in the top plate to strengthen it.
As far as blocking the parallel wall, the closer it is to the joisting, the better you can install a couple of blocks to the closest joist, nailing them flat to the joist, but as you move further away, using a spanner between the joisting would be recommended, nailing it flat (parallel to the floor).