Frame around water heater?


Old 10-17-06, 05:11 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frame around water heater?

Hi All,

I want to build a frame around my heater and hot water heater and then put paneling around it so it is not too much of an eye sore.

How do I go about bolting the 2x4's to the concrete floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 06:29 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,704
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts

Water heater enclosure should be removable to be able to service or replace the water heater.

Why do you want to enclose a "heater"? This sounds dangerous.

I would use tapcons to fasten 2x4's to the floor.
Old 10-17-06, 07:34 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wirepuller.

What are tapcons? Should I use a masonary bit?

I am just putting a frame around my water heater and boiler so you cannot see them.

I will be screwing in panels so I can remove them for access. I am not going to put the panels all the way up to the ceiling so there will be plenty of airflow.

Do you still think this is a bad idea?
Old 10-17-06, 11:24 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 19
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tapcons are a brand of screws that are used specifically for attaching to concrete. Drill hole in concrete with masonary bit recommended for the particular tapcon screw used.

I've had some issues of these screws not sinking the full depth and others where the screw breaks while wrenching them in.
Where structural loads are not an issue I've used 'Mushroom Head' type fasteners, where you insert these into the hole and whack them with a hammer that drives a pin down to set them tight into the concrete.

If these heaters are gas fired you will definitely not want to impair the airflow around them. In which case louvered panels would be a better choice in my opinion. Louvered panels do have a tendency to accumulate dust so these should be placed a safe distance from the heat source.
Old 10-17-06, 03:41 PM
nap's Avatar
nap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 4,163
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
An inspector I was recently talking with informed me that code (don;t know if it was a local or national code) required combustion air inlets at the bottom and the top of the room the furnace is in.

Not sure why a high and low but he said it is current code requirement. There is actually a calculation involved for total supply air inlet size so adequate CFM will be allowed in.

He continued by telling me a little story of a home owner that did not have adequate combustion airflow. The furnace starved. It resulted in a nice little explosion. Not any real damage but soot everywhere.

Bottom line. Talk with the code inspector in your area to be sure whatever you are doing is safe.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: