Finishing Old 1950's Basment

Old 10-24-06, 10:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Finishing Old 1950's Basment

I recently pruchased a house in the GTA region (southern Ontario) and would like to finish the basement. I have several questions concerning products and procedures for doing this project the right way.

The house is roughly 50-60 years old and is a simple 800 sqft rectangle shape. For some reason the builder decided that the basement height should only be 80".

I plan on making half the basement into a rec room, 1/4 into an office and the other 1/4 into a laundry/furnace room/finshed Bathroom.

The existing slab is roughly 2 " think and lies at 4' below grade. There is an access doorway with steps leading up to the back yard and a staircase to the main floor.

My questions are as follows:

1) Because the basment height is so low would it be advisable to "dig" it out deeper and pour a new slab roughly 16" farther down. And, if so, would it be strange if I only did this on the rec room side of the basement.

2) I have read what seem to be many opposing ideas on what the best way to insulate and stop vapour at the foundation wall. Currently, I do see a moisture build up in lower corners. The wall is concrete block and has minor cracks as a result of settling (i guess).

3)What is the best method for sealing the wall? I've read that epoxy or a special paint can be applied to seal if from the inside. Is there any truth to this?

4)does regular vapor poly used on the mainfloor work better and if so does this go in outside or inside of insulation.

5)And finally, what insualtion is best for floors and walls in this situation.

I appreciate any help and I am sorry for the long post.

Thanks

D.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-06, 12:44 PM
Finishing Old 1950's Basment

If you currently see moisture in the corners, you can be assured you will see more if you go 16" deeper.

Going deeper is always a touchy situation. Your existing slab (even though it is only 2" thick does help to prevent the walls and footing from moving inward. Going deeper, you will have more lateral pressure. You probably should have a professional tell you how to make a good connection between the existing wall/footing and the new concstruction.

Dick

Old 10-25-06, 04:19 AM
B
Thanks for the response.

I have had 2 contractors and one engineer take a look at the problem. Oringally the house was going to be lifted an equal amount, however costs for that would have been much greater.

I dont intend to undermine the exsting footing at all. I hope to stay roughly 4-5" from the wall going down beside the footing and leaving a lip around the permiteter wall that will be covered up by framing.

Im just not sure whether to do the whole basment or not?

Old 10-25-06, 10:56 AM
G
Originally Posted by boviefish
Thanks for the response.

I have had 2 contractors and one engineer take a look at the problem. Oringally the house was going to be lifted an equal amount, however costs for that would have been much greater.

I dont intend to undermine the exsting footing at all. I hope to stay roughly 4-5" from the wall going down beside the footing and leaving a lip around the permiteter wall that will be covered up by framing.

Im just not sure whether to do the whole basment or not?
in for a penny in for a pound.....if i was going to do it I would do the entire basement.

Old 10-26-06, 04:43 AM
B
Do you guys have any tips for insulating the walls and/or floor in the basement. Any thoughts on which type of vapor barrier?