Sofit vents, dormer too?

Old 10-26-06, 05:23 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sofit vents, dormer too?

Hi,
Does any one know about cutting sofit vents in a cape? We have a ridge vent and a dormer. If we also cut a soffit vent into the soffit board in the dormer would that circumvent or reduce the air flow from the lower soffits? Currently there has not been any condensation problems from the dormer edge to the ridge. A roofer came this morning and I asked if venting the lower soffits would have any effect on the dormer area. He said it wouln't do it any harm. What I should have asked was the opposite. If we vent the upper soffit will it have any effect on the lower, ie..air draw?

I have two other recent posts with greater detail if anyone wants to read more about my specific and wonderful saga.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 10-26-06, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You do not install gable end vents in conjunction with soffit and ridge vents. It would disrupt the air flow which should be bottom to top. Not to pick on roofers, but IMO, the vast majority don't know much about ventilation.

Old 10-26-06, 11:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no gable vent

This would not be a gable vent. The question is should the 2nd story dormer (parallel roof lineto the 1st story) also have sofits, or will that interupt the air flow from the 1st floor sofits.

Old 10-28-06, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I understand now. As long as you keep the ratio in proportion, I see no problem in adding soffit vents to the dormer. You would want to calculate exactly how much ridge vent area (sq in) you have in the dormer, and you would not want to exceed that same amount as you create any intake in the dormer soffit. The same would apply for the rest of the home- the ridge vent area should roughly equal the soffit vent area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: