egress window sill height

Old 11-02-06, 09:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
egress window sill height

I currently have windows that meet egress window size requirements, however the sill height of 44" is not met, as my windows are 55" above the floor. Is there any way getting around this requirement (like a built in step), or must I replace the windows?

Old 11-02-06, 01:12 PM
C
Of course only your local building inspector can answer this question for you. I've read were a few jurisidictions would let a 50" existing window slide by with a permenant 6" step, but even those exceptions seemed rare. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 11-02-06, 07:38 PM
R
I have to agree with chris on the building inspector having the final say; however you might put a couple of options to him. I had a similar problem in a basement bedroom, but it was because youngstwers were using the room. I build a permanent craft/ hobby bench below the window so in an emergency it was easy to use the window. One drawback though, made it easier for teenagers to sneak out. Bunk beds below window usualy work also. As long as window is correct size, getting to it can be worked around.

Old 11-03-06, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. I called the inspector, and after yelling at me for using him as a "code questions bank", he flat out denied any leniency. What a jerk... I didn`t even ask him any code questions...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: