Corrugated aluminum basement ceiling panels

Old 11-03-06, 09:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corrugated aluminum basement ceiling panels

I plan to finish my basement soon and I do not want to drywall the ceiling in case I need access to pipes, etc. I really don't like the look of a drop ceiling. I saw a show where a home had installed corrugated aluminum ceiling panels and I think this would be a perfect solution of allowing access and looking modern and bright. Problem is I can't find where to buy such a product. I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks! Jo-Ann

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-06, 10:07 AM
S
Jo Ann,

I recently painted a home where the home owner installed ceiling tiles. It wasn't a drop ceiling, rather these were delicate tiles made of some type of paper/styrofoam material, and they were stapled to a wood grid. One room had decoritive 12" x 12" tiles, and I painted those with a gold metalic paint. The look and affect was incredible. Much cheaper than a true copper ceiling but with the same look. Another room they used longer, maybe 4" x 36" tiles that had a wood grain pattern. Those I painted an off white, then applied a min wax stain and they looked like finished cedar boards, again at a fraction of the price. I wish I could've done something like that with my basement, unfortunately, my wife won that arguement. Of course accessing the ceiling at a later date would probably damage the tiles, but they can easily be replaced. Anyway, not much help on the aluminum you're looking for, but thought I'd share another option with you.

Old 11-03-06, 10:24 AM
J
Thanks much for the other options. I may have to go in that direction is I can't find what I am looking for. Sounds like a great alternative. Did you end up doing a dorp ceiling?

Old 11-03-06, 10:56 AM
S
The carpenter nailed furring strips perpendicular to the joists, then stapled the tiles to the furring strips. I forgot to mention that the tiles are tongue and groove so they lock together nicely. So technically, it is a drop ceiling, but only a couple inches. And not the type where you can push the tiles up to access the ceiling. You would litterally have to break and remove these, then replace. The owner of the home had plenty of extra tiles that I painted as well, should they have to replace any down the road.