Latex vs. oil based Drylok

Old 11-03-06, 03:05 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex vs. oil based Drylok

Does anyone know if the oil based Drylok waterproofer gives a stronger seal than the latex version? The FAQ on the UGL site is a little ambiguous saying both provide superior waterproofing capability.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
While I don't have any hard facts I believe the oil base does a better job. BUT I RECOMEND YOU USE THE LATEX!!! The oil base has a strong odor that takes a long time to dissipate. Not only are the fumes rough on the person applying the drylok, the odor can linger and bother the family living upstairs

1 coat of drylok is almost always sufficent but 2 coats gives better protection and is what UGL recomends.

Old 11-08-06, 09:50 AM
P
I totally agree with marksr, the oil base smells like hell !

One unsolicited piece of advice though is make sure you are not sealing up basement walls with an active water source behind them (gutter, downspout and grading issues in particular) or the hydrostatic pressure can build to the point where the wall can be pushed in. Sealing up the wall will not eliminate the water problem. If you're in the part of the country with summer humidity, buy a dehumidfier too.

Old 11-08-06, 01:48 PM
K
Thanks for the info guys, I'll go ahead with the latex based....I'm sure my wife will thank me :-) I'm actually doing it to seal the floors pre carpet installation. I had issues with moisture coming up through the slab and as a result had an interior drain tile installed. This sealing is just an extra step on my part.

Old 11-09-06, 12:21 PM
J
Originally Posted by marksr
While I don't have any hard facts I believe the oil base does a better job. BUT I RECOMEND YOU USE THE LATEX!!! The oil base has a strong odor that takes a long time to dissipate. Not only are the fumes rough on the person applying the drylok, the odor can linger and bother the family living upstairs

1 coat of drylok is almost always sufficent but 2 coats gives better protection and is what UGL recomends.

I used the oil based Drylok this summer on a cold room project and man oh man did I get a nice buzz of it. I had a mask and a window and a fan but that stuff is strong. I had to take about 3 breaks to clear my head while doing a pretty small room.

Latex, next time.