Venting Basement Bathroom Fan

Old 11-05-06, 08:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Venting Basement Bathroom Fan

I am completing a bathroom in the basement. I need to put a ceiling fan in to remove humid air... I heard that you could vent these into an air exchanger somehow.. I have a Venmar brand air exchanger near this bathroom now.

Otherwise I will have to run it out the length of the house and out through the foundation. Which is a pain because this area is hard to get at.

Anybody have some ideas.??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 08:43 PM
Wink

Check code There the bath vent has to go outside. Why cant you go up and out the beltboard right above the sill plate .

ED

Old 11-27-06, 08:18 AM
T
I just did this myself this weekend. Turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would. My house is built with an overhang over the foundation wall. I was running the vent duct parallel to the joist to the back of the house. There was insulation stuffed up there and I assumed that I would have to cut through the bandboard (right term?) to get into the overhang area to, somehow figure out how to get a 90 degree bend in there and through a 4" hole in the bandboard to install the vent cap under the overhang (like under an eave). Turns out that when I removed the insulation, the joists run all the way out to the end of the overhang, so there is an opening over the top of the foundation to run the vent straight out to the overhang and easy to install the 90 degree bend.

I'd recommend checking out EVERYTHING in your situation before you do anything. It may not be as hard as you think. Also, I have a rotozip with a circle cutter. Only mistake I made was that I set it to cut a 4" hole for a 4" vent pipe. Silly me, I SHOULD have set to more like 4.25" or 4.5" to give myself a little extra room. I ended up having to freehand around the 4" hole to make it bigger. Other than that...piece o'cake!

Good luck,
Tom