Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Wanting to convert part of walk-out attic to a closet. Need advice.

Old 11-13-06, 12:02 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We desperatly need more storage space in our house. As a result, we are considering finishing part of our attic (sort of walk-out) into a large closet (about 18x4). I'm trying to decide if it is something that I could do myself, or if I would need to hire a contractor, or if it is even possible at all.

One of our upstairs bedrooms has a door that leads out into the space above our garage. We don't have an AC unit there, but unfortunatlly the space is a trussed system. There is about 4 feet between the door/bedroom wall and the first truss. That area is open and extends the full width of the garage (about 18'). This is where I want to put the closet. The ceiling joists in the main house run in the direction of the 4' diminstion, and the trusses in over the garage run perpendicular to that.

There are two primary obsticles that I see. First, as in many modern houses, there are several wires, mainly electrical, that are just layed on top of the ceiling joists. I would have to have these re-run so that they went through the bottom of the first truss, or cut channels in the top of the truss, to allow them to pass. The second is that the top of the joists in the attic are 3.5" lower than that of the main house. Although I havn't examined/measured it carefully, I suspect that this is the difference between 2x10s being used for the floor joists in the bedrooms and only 2x6s being used for the ceiling joists in the garage. Is it possible to extend those lower joists up by attaching a 2x4 on top of the lower joists. I know it won't be at strong as a solid 2x10 would be, but we are only talking about a 4' wide closet.

Thought. I will be happy to provide other informatin as requested.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 07:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is some updated information.

The floor joists in the main house are 2x10 where the ceiling joists in the garage (where the attic space is) are 2x6. The 2x6 are resting on the back wall of the garage (load bearing wall) and are conencted to the first truss with joist hangers. The load bearing wall is accessable and I would be able to add a 2x10 joists resting on that wall top and attach it to the truss using joist hangers.

My new concern is that in order to form the back wall of the new closet I would have to put a 2x4 wall directly on top of the end (up next to the truss) of the new joists where they connect to the truss with joist hangers. My concern is 2-fold. 1) Are the joist hangers (in conjunction with nailing the joist to the truss from the backside) strong enough to support the wall? 2) The span of the truss is about 19'. Is the additional weight I am considering adding going to be a problem for that truss?

This is going to be a kids closet for toys/clothes. No furniature, etc.

Thanks