Define "Dry"?

Old 11-15-06, 07:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Define "Dry"?

I'm in my fourth home that has a basement. This one is 85 years old and has had a history of flooding in the basement. About 6 months prior to my purchasing it, the previous owner had a interior perimeter drainage system installed (about 80ft of it in the floor) with a lifetime guarantee and offered the house as having a "dry basement". Since we moved in, there is a small amount of moisture that seems to continually exist along a couple of feet of one of the seams of the concrete where the drainage system was installed. Not enough to wipe up with a towel, but consistent enough to notice. Only once, during a 4 day rain, did it get wet enough to call it a puddle. Before I call the drainage system company back out and potentially have the basement floor dug up again, I'm interested in knowing if this is enough to call "a problem" - in other's experiences?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 02:54 PM
Define "Dry"?

Give the installer a call, if only to go on record that there is a problem. Dry means water/moisture is not present!

They probably get a few calls, so they are accustomed to it. Usually there is not just one cause of moisture.

If your walls are not coated with Thoroseal or something similar, this wll definitely help with the nuisance leaks that show up when the leak is more than the evaporation. - Maybe you can get a coating of a waterproofer.

I am a great believer in interior drain tile, but I still used Thoroseal on my basement when I installed my own drain tile. It certainly brightens and cleans things up.

Dick

Old 11-15-06, 03:11 PM
T
Walls are stone and are drylock'd - and holding up very well. The drain system, and the moisture, is in the floor.

I wiped the entire area down a few days ago - and it's been raining steadily for the past 2 days - and not a sign of moisture..... almost seems a shame to call them.... - on the other hand, I'm preparing to frame in walls for a game room - so I guess I'd better do something....