Buying house -- lally column question

Old 11-21-06, 08:27 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Buying house -- lally column question

We're buying a 1940 2-story colonial and during the inspection it was pointed out to us that there are 2 "temporary" adjustable support posts in the basement that should be replaced with permanent. One is quite old, with rusted threads (and coincidentally directly beneath a portion of floor upstairs that is slightly sloped). The other is in better shape and seems semi-permanently installed. I guess what I'm looking for is a ballpark figure on what a lally column install runs and what type of professional should I consult with.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I would first consult your local code people to determine the requirements for lally columns in your area. In certain northern cities, steel columns are not permitted at all. In other areas they are quite common. Mine sits on 8 of them, and, although in a dry situation, show no signs of deterioration, even after 28 years.
Columns are easy enough to install, although you will have to buy 4 more(as well as 4x6's) in order to support the house while you make the changes. Footings are most important, and, depending on your climate, will have to be constructed large enough and deep enough to satisfy code in your area.
I am saying all this as a preface to what you will be faced with in hiring it done, or doing it yourself. Not knowing your area's labor costs, it is always advisable to get 3 estimates and determine from that what is your best avenue.

Old 11-22-06, 04:06 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. The inspector said these adjustable posts are not up to code for NJ, where the house is. Luckily for me, my brother is a contractor and can do just about anything construction-related (framing, drywall, roofs, etc., etc.). And if he can't do it, he knows people who can. Spoke to him last night and he said it's not that huge a deal. Now it's off to do some negotiating with the seller so either she fixes it to our satisfaction, or comes down on the selling price so we can fix it.

Old 11-22-06, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Roger that, and good luck with the negotiations!