attic insulation

Old 12-02-06, 11:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attic insulation

recently purchased 75 year old house. no insulation in attic. standard insulation is too narrow to attach to sides of ceiling joists. any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 12:03 PM
attic insulation

You can always blow in cellulose between and over the ceiling joists.

More effective than fiberglass and works is all areas. Make sure you provide proper ventilation from soffit areas to the open peak area.

You can do it yourself.

dick

Old 12-02-06, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cellulose Is God!!!!

I bought my house in 05, since then I have used cellulose in my attic and just blew it in the walls in September. For the attic which is roughly 30 X 30 I spent 120 bucks. That was for 8 in. deep joists. I had a guy after that give me a quote on the wall insulation, and he took a look at my attic, he said that I need another 6 in. on top of my floor to have the recommended R-value for my area which is central PA. Problem is I use it for storage. There is a floor up there. In any even I noticed a difference that night, the ceiling on the 2nd floor was much warmer than before I did it. It isn't as good as fiberglass but still will save money in heating/cooling and is way cheaper than fiberglass. Good Luck
PS - WEAR A REALLY REALLY GOOD MASK/RESPIRATOR

Old 12-02-06, 09:20 PM
Wink

diyplank: I think you will find that the cellulose is better than fiberglass. Its all In how much you open the air shutter on the blower as to what R you get for how deep it is. Also with fiberglass in a fire it will not burn . But melt and let a fire get through. With the cellulose it will not burn just char and not let a fire get through.