Avice on Simpsons Strong Tie

Old 12-03-06, 10:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Avice on Simpsons Strong Tie

Hi. I'm building a "room within a room" structure in my basement to be used as a recording space. I'm tying the main 4 upright posts and joists (4x4 pressure treated timber) together using Simpsons RTC 44 connectors (designed to hold heavy duty decking together). At the Simpsons web site there's a whole load of information describing which screws/nails to use with which connectors. It recomends I use their 14-16 D sinker nails to connect them. I want to use screws instead (Simpsons SD8 or something else) as that will make the whole instalation much much easier. The 4 upper joists are spanning the room (10' x 12') with stud walling inside the frame they create and will only be holding up 1/2" OSB using 2x4 rafters every 12" running over the 10' span of the roof at a height of 6' 7" (I'm restricted by the height of the basement ceiling). I'm guessing that the load recomendations for the RTC 44 and the corresponding "correct" nails is based on decking support but as I'm only holding up a relatively lightweight roof that wont have any pressure exerted form above (i.e people walking on it etc) I can get away with using the SD8 screws (or others???). Can anyone advise me if this is going to be OK to do, could I use non-Simpsons screws (3" galvanised deck screws for instance?) or do I have to use nails, and if so, do they have to be Simpsons 14-16 D nails or will regular 3" nails do the trick?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-06, 10:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I am trying to picture what you are building. If the room is in your basement, why are you using 4x4pt lumber? You don't want ACQ in a breathable environment. It is just fine for decks and bottom plates, but for framing it will shrink and could cause your wall covering to crack up. This would free you up to use standard framing lumber and methods. As far as screwing the Simpsons, galvanized deck screws don't have the shear strength of 16D nails. I would use the nails as suggested by Simpson.