Sheetrock over my carport?

Old 12-17-06, 09:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Sheetrock over my carport?

I have a moisture problem in my attic and was wondering if green sheetrock over my carport could be a problem? I am having a dark molding on the sheathing on only one side of my roof! I am having my local power company out to look over my house for potential problems (possible a blow test) and would it be a dumb question to ask about the carport! The moisture appears to worse on both ends of the house! should I insulate the carport? I added 3 extra eve vents! My exhast fans were in the attic space and since then I rerouted them outside! I had a insulation guy come out and Although he couldn't pin point the exact problem he believes that the carport could be a direct relationship to my problems. I would appreciate any input!!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 10:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
The greenboard in and of itself is not your problem. You have a moisture problem that is manifesting itself inside the attic space. You stated that you "rerouted" the exhaust fan to the outside. Where were they venting to begin with? Not sure where you live, so climate will have alot to do with our suggestions.
Do you have soffit vents? Do you have a ridge vent? Do you see any evidence of a leak from the outside? Is the area from the house attic space and the garage attic space closed off with a door? There must be access between the two for firefighting purposes.

Old 12-20-06, 05:00 AM
C
Smile

chandler I live in the pacific northwest it is cold and rainy! I have eve vents I don't believe I have soffits. I have roof vents every 4ft the length of the house about 4-5 feet from the ridge( the same side I have a problem with moisture) The other side of the roof is in perfect shape! The moisture really become apparent when It freezes outside and during the thaw out in the morning the side of the roof that doesn't get the sun (the problem side) gets wet to the touch! I have a public utilites guy coming out to do a weatherization on the house. I am not sure what I should do next? I am wondering if that the public utility guy can't a grasp on what is going on in the house than what should a guy do? I can call a professional in but should a guy be a roofing contractor or insulation contractor or what other pro is there? thanks for the input!!!

Old 12-20-06, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
[QUOTE=coyote one;1094230 I have eve vents I don't believe I have soffits. [/QUOTE]

If I understand correctly they are the same.

Have you given it time to see if rerouting the exhaust fans have made a difference?
You also might want to check and make sure if your soffit/eave vents are unobstructed. Sometimes insulation gets crammed up against them making them inneffective. The air comes in the low vents and exists out the roof vents taking the moist air with it.

Last edited by marksr; 12-21-06 at 05:34 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-20-06, 03:25 PM
If I understand correctly, you have eave vents (which are high up on the structure next to the peak), but don't have soffit vents (which are low almost at ceiling level of the house). You have roof vents spaced out. Are they power vents, or are they turbine type? Lately with your wx, you could be experiencing alot of condensation then freezing then thawing from within the vent hoods. Once the water thaws it could conceivably drip into the attic space and cause a problem. The heat from the attic space would be a prime origin for the moisture to condensate. Just a thought.
I know it sounds like alot of work, but I would do away with the vents and install a ridge vent along the entire ridge. This will assure you are removing the hottest air, while allowing the eave vents to pass cooler air into the space.

Old 12-20-06, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
If I understand correctly, you have eave vents (which are high up on the structure next to the peak),
I've always called those gable vents. Guess we'll have to wait and find out just what coyote one has.

Old 12-20-06, 05:47 PM
C
I believe I have soffit vents and roof vents! They aren't powered and my soffit vents are able to see out of! Will the guy that is coming out to see the house be able to tell me what to do or should I start calling contractors ? What contractors can I call to do this job?

Old 12-21-06, 03:45 AM
Marksr, you are right with the terminology, as gable vents are what I suspected he had. Eave and soffits are basically the same.
Hopefully the guy coming out will be able to determine where your moisture problem is coming from. But go up with him so he understands your complete problem, and you understand his recommendations.

Old 12-21-06, 05:00 AM
C
Thanks for all the help. I will let you know how it fares after todays inspection!