missing support poles? or extra spots?

Old 12-22-06, 07:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question missing support poles? or extra spots?

we moved into our 10 year old home knowing that we had to redo the basement because it was not completed to code. I was able to demo the whole basement last week and finished the framing yesterday and have been noticing that the floor above the basement in certain places to be squeaking. So here is the issue... the codes in colorado require that the basements walls be floating and the basement did not have floating walls. So i tore everything out and started from scratch. When everything was taken out I noticed 3 sections of the concrete appeared to be filled in (2ft x 2ft with a circle in the middle). It almost appears that someone took out the support poles, but it does not appear they were cut off but rather dug out of the concrete. I am finding it hard to believe that someone that finished the basement would have removed some support posts when the framing did not go around the poles. What i mean by this is if there were support poles in the same spots of the filled in concrete they would have been part of the wall. The support posts that are currently in place are included as part of the walls, so you wouldnt know there were any support posts when it was finished. So, is it possible that a home builder would have poured the basement with extra spots for support posts and when the basement was finished the spots were filled in with concrete?

Old 12-22-06, 07:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"So, is it possible that a home builder would have poured the basement with extra spots for support posts and when the basement was finished the spots were filled in with concrete?" Homeowners discover some builders have done lots of things possible and impossible.

Your question should be if you have enough support. Please provide more details, such as size of joists, type of wood, spacing, length of span, etc. The construction pros can then make recommendations.

One option that may help you sleep better at night is to contact a structural engineer. If you have a friendly building inspector, he may be able to advise you as to what is code in your area for proper support and placement for your structure.

As you say, "it was not completed to code." Kinda scary. That's why they have the codes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: