Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Building a workbench off my basement wall- good idea?

Old 12-27-06, 03:23 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I'd like any opinions about my idea to build a folding workbench off the framing in my basement as follows:

I'd like to build a simple top from 2x4's, a plywood sub top, and a thin hard board top. About 6 feet long and 2-3 ft deep. I would attach hinged 4x4 legs on the front side, and hinge the back side of the top off the exposed framing members in my basement. The legs would then hang straight down as the table gets folded up against the wall.

The basic jist of what I'm talking about is illustrated in these pictures:
http://home.pacbell.net/ggladsto/mach_up_01.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/ggladsto/table_folded.jpg

I'm mainly wondering if it's structurally ok to hang that much weight on the framing. When folded up it would be just the weight of the table. When layed down I guess the weight, including whatever is put on the table will be distributed between the front legs, and the house framing...

Can you think of anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by cruiserandmax; 12-27-06 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Would depend somewhat on the framing, but generally it wouldn't be a problem. I had a setup like that in the garage of our previous house, the only difference being I angled the legs back to where the floor and wall met so there was some clearance instead of having the legs where you might bump them or they be in the way. Have to have the hinges well anchored for that way becasue there is somewhat of an outward strain put on them.