Basement wall finishing options?

Old 01-29-07, 02:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of semi finishing my basement. I have constructed a few walls and now comes the fun of finishing them. I do not want to drywall, mud and tape. Due to the mess and kids w/ allergies. Is there an alternative to finishing joints in drywall w/ a metal strip that you could just paint? I know it sounds cheezey but it would most likely be my cheapest route. The other option I am looking at is a product by georgia pacific called Ply-Bead. ($18.00 for 4x8 sheet..yikes)
Any one used that in a basement. Sorry this is a two part question...

Old 01-29-07, 02:53 PM

Do you want the short term istallation methods to limit the walls surface?

If so, look into some of the panels and materials used in mobile homes. Remember, the cost of a panel is only one part of the wall cost.

What ever you use, you will still have sawing, some dust and a mess for a short time.

Dick

Old 01-29-07, 04:31 PM
D
Question

Thanks for the reply,
But not sure I understand what you mean by:
Do you want the short term istallation methods to limit the walls surface?

Have you heard of a butt joint drywall system where the drywall is joined at the seams by a metal strip of some kind in lieu of tape and cmpd.?

The panels used in mobile homes would not be thick enough. I have 3 boys.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-07, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
MH panels are 1/4" drywall with a vinyl print for a facing. I think it is glued and stapled in place with strips hiding the joints. I suppose you could install 3/8" drywall the same way and then paint it but it really should have some screws in the middle of the studs. As far as I know all 1/2" & 5/8" drywall has beveled edges to make taping easier.

You can buy a metal edge bead at a drywall supply house.

Old 01-29-07, 08:22 PM
F
If you go the drywall rout, you could always try to use butt joints and then if you are really good at lining up your butt joints, you can caulk then instead of using joint compound.

I have also seen drywall that is paperless so it is supposed to prevent mold. (you mentioned alergies)

HTH.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: