mold in the corners

Old 02-19-07, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mold in the corners

I have been thinking about finishing my basement.I am currently having problems with mold in my basement.The strange thing is that the mold is only in the corners of the basement.The house was built in 1969.Ive never heard of mold just growing in the corners of the basement.Is there a reasoning to this?The house has fairly new gutters and there are no standing pools of water when it rains.The house did have a french drain put in around 1998.I have yet to clean the existing mold with a good scrubbing with bleach.I am concerned that this might be a exterior structural problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 08:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
What is the RH in the basement

Old 02-19-07, 08:04 PM
Who
Strictly a guess, but in the corners there are two outer walls that are affected by moisture. The middle part just happens to not be moist enough for mold.

Old 02-20-07, 06:34 AM
mold in the corners

If you have no cracks or movement, You probably have no structural problems.

Often, gutter downsopouts are near the corners of a house. You should have long extensions to carry the water away from the house.

Just because you have no standing pools in your yard does not mean much. The water may have soaked in (down to your wall bottom/basement) before it had a chance to be carried away.

Dick

Old 02-20-07, 09:40 AM
I have no clue what the RH(relative humidity?)is.

Old 02-24-07, 09:24 AM
Mold grows where moisture is present there is nothing strange at all about it growing just in the corners. Follow the advice of the posts above and find the source of the moisture.

Old 02-25-07, 10:13 PM
so do you suggest that i go ahead with the cleaning of the mold with 50/50 bleach and water then go ahead and seal it with drylok?The mold is only present in the corners of the foundation so a little drylok in the corners then i should be good to go with using a plastic vapior barrier with the studs.

Old 02-26-07, 04:26 PM
I was reading your last post and i'm a little cofused. Is the mold on concrete which is why u suggest using Drylock. Or was the mold on a surface that you removed exposing the framing and foundation, which would explain your question about vapor barriers.

Old 03-23-07, 12:22 PM
sorry i can see how that was confusing.The mold is on concrete,as for the vapor barrier i would like to do both the drylock and plastic sheeting.