moisture from soffits

Old 02-28-07, 07:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moisture from soffits

theres brown water dripping from my soffits and down my siding--i have wood chip insulation--is it supposed to cover the soffits?How can i stop this from happening

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-07, 03:38 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Soffit

Soffits should not be insulated since they are outside the living space. Most likely caused by overflowing gutters. Check to see if gutters are clogged.

Your profile does not include your location. I suppose the water could be coming from roof leaks caused by ice dams if you are in an area prone to ice and snow.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 03-01-07 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old 03-01-07, 06:39 AM
moisture from soffits

It sure sounds like an ice dam problem.

Check out your ventilation. There should be an air flow path through you soffit vents and between the rafters/trusses up to the roof vents/ridge vent.

Your insulation could be blocking the air flow, causing ice dams and forcing the water/ice up and under the shingles.

Dick

Old 03-01-07, 01:27 PM
R
i am in canada-winnipeg,manitoba---its warming up here-i do have ice dams--should ALL the wood chips be removed from the soffit area? leaving full air flow--or do i have to seal-up a good part of that space leaving vented space every so often?