Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Rainwater flooded basement while on vacation - need suggestions please!

Old 03-05-07, 08:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all -

Just returned home to Illinois after a week in Florida, unfortunately a freak winter thunderstorm occured soon after we left, and with the ground still frozen, the rain water came into the basement thru the window wells. There was standing water of half inch to 2". The basement is finished with 2x4 walls, drywall with plaster skim coat, pressure treated sole plates, Icynene insulation, and carpet floors.

I've removed the carpet padding, wet vac'ed the carpet, then lifted the carpet up off the floor onto stools, crates, etc, and have fans running to circulate the air above and below the carpet. Two de-humidifiers are also running.

Since it was wet for almost a week, there is a musty odor, I'm concerned with mold/mildew problems. I can't see any discoloration where the walls have been painted, however in closets where it is unpainted and on the backside of unfinished walls, it appears the drywall has wicked up the water about 2 feet high.

Should I try to salvage the carpet, it is only a few months old? Also what should I do with the walls? I don't think the water was high enough anywhere to water enter the wall cavity (there is a double sole plate, with the bottom one being treated). Can I just let them dry without worrying about mold/mildew. I've thought about ripping off the drywall and put up wainscoting.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh by the way, none of this is covered by insurance, and yes, the side of the house will be re-graded this spring with higher window wells.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-07, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

If some of the gypsum has wicked up moisture, the rest probably have also.

Your best solution may be to strip out the lower 4 feet of drywall (now wetwall?). This will give you an oportunity to dry out the wall and do any spraying that may be necessary for mold control. Without opening it up, it may never really dry out.

Running a dehumidifier will only dry out the air, but really does not get the real good circulation of the dry air that is necessary for complete drying. When you are running a dehumidifier, you are still circulating air that has moisture in it. It is a dehumidifier and not a dryer.

That was the standard correction I saw in Katrina (hurricane) area whenever there was any standing moisture inside. Often is saltwater areas, they even renailed because of the future rusting of nails in wet wood, but you have fresh water and probably do not have to go that far.

Dick