Green stuff on basement walls

Old 03-12-07, 02:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm chipping away the old Drylok and pressure washing anything else that couldn't be chipped off, but what I noticed behind the old Drylok paint was this green colored stuff on the blocks. The pressure washer rated at 1800 psi won't remove it and neither will my scraper. Is this waterproofing imbedded in the concrete blocks? Do you think I could wire brush it away, or what should I do to get the blocks cleaned up before reapplication?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 06:40 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
They should be clean after pressure washing! 1800psi is not much what is the gpm!

Old 03-12-07, 08:08 PM
J
The GPM is 1.6. Let me rephrase part of my opening statment. Some of the blocks on the wall did come clean again with the pressure washer hitting these areas. Most of the blocks however still have this green stuff. In some areas it's thin while in other areas it's more caked on.

Old 03-13-07, 05:52 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
1.6 gpm is not a lot of water but it should be enough to remove any loose material. You should not have a problem painting or coating after it drys.

Old 03-13-07, 07:01 AM
J
So you're saying, "Paint over the green stuff." Right? If so, will the new Drylok penetrate through this and cure?

Old 03-13-07, 09:05 AM

What does the Drylok can say about preparation and what it can be applied over? The green colored "stuff" could just be a coat of green paint that was applied as a quick costing that did not waterproof.

Dick

Old 03-13-07, 02:43 PM
J
Question Concretemasonry

I don't know what the manufacturer of Drylok says about wall preparation because I'm not currently at this stage.

Do you know, or does anyone here know, if Drylok is capable of penetrating through old paint and getting down in the concrete blocks? If "Yes" then I'll give my best effort to remove the caked on layers and leave it at that point to a reapplication. I could easily devote hundreds of hours wire brushing and perhaps several hundred gallons of water to get the walls back to like original. But if I don't have to go that far, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-13-07, 04:14 PM

I am not an expert on Drylock and really do not put a great deal of faith in its abilty to pentrate into concrete. It look like more of a paint-type coating. I think there are better products to put on bare concrete.

Since you have some coatings on your wall and have decided on Drylok, I would look closely at the preparation requirements (for both water and oil based). What you are trying to remove is sound material under the same material you propose to apply.

If you have taken a pressure washer and brush to the wall, you have probably removed all loose materials and a good coating material applied to a sound surface should be adequate.

Drylok, if applied to a properly prepared surface should work.

Dick