Basement Support Poles...

Old 03-21-07, 09:37 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Support Poles...

Hey all, I'm new here, looking for some advice.

I currently have a 1400 sqft ranch home, built in 1972. I have 2 I-beams in the basement. I have lived in the basement for 3 1/2 years now. When i moved in, the basement was unfinished but looked like someone was slowly working on it (terribly done with the little they did). They did manage though to cut out a steel support pole that was supporting the I-beam.

This support pole, with it removed, allows for approximately 20 ft of distance from the block wall to the next support pole. They likely did this to make for a nice wide open party area or something.

When they cut the pole out (which was cemented into the floor originally), they cut it approximately 1 inch above the concrete, removed the pole, and left the 1 inch sticking out of the concrete. THey didn't bother to attempt to remove it. So I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to put this pole back? I know it's probably a dumb question lol, but if i can get away with it i'd rather not because I'm trying to build a big arcade down there.
2. What is the distance requirement that you must have a support?
3. If I put it back, can i get away with moving the pole closer to the wall? As it is now, I'd say there's about 8-10ft ft of distance from where the pole should be and the block wall. My arcadee area will measure about 34x22ft.
4. What can I do or use to cut the rest of that pole out of the floor? I'd rather not have to cut concrete and fill it. I'd rather try to grind it or cut it as close to the floor as possible. What will do the job?
5. Where can I get an adjustable support pole to put in place if necessary and what do they cost?

Thanks all for the help.
Dave

Old 03-27-07, 04:05 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its funny that you mentioned this....well the situation isnt funny. This is the same thing I found when my basement flooded and I removed the carpet. The pole they cut out was in the very middle of the house and was cut right at the floor so they could install carpet. Like I said, I didnt find this untill I took the carpet out.

When we bought the house the middle of the house had a "sag" and we found out why. I bought a new pole and installed it myself. I did it because it was in the middle of the house. I would have to say it was there for a reason so you might want to replace it. I know its a pain where it is located but I made a half wall where the pole sits. I also made the bad decision by raising the pole too quickly during the winter months and it made my floors "kreak" more then usuall. Other then that it was fine and no more sag in the house.

You can buy these poles at any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. I bought mine for like 20 or 30 bucks. Just make sure and measure the distance from the floor to the ceiling before ya get one so you get the right size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: