trim to metal studs?

Old 04-04-07, 09:19 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trim to metal studs?

My basement is framed with metal studs. I am now ready to attach the trim and casings. How do I attach the trim and casings?

Old 04-04-07, 09:57 AM
Wink

This is why we put the bottom plate on a P/T 2X4 . When steel studs are used. Liquid Nail works

Old 04-04-07, 10:48 AM
R
I always line door openings with a 2x4 so I can easily nail on the casings. That'll work for you the next time. For now, if you are nailing pneumatically, there are guns and nails specifically for nailing to steel studs. There are also trim head screws for the same purpose.

Old 04-04-07, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I am usually on site the day before the sheetrock guys get there even with standard wood framing to install the blocking I know I will need to properly attach trim. Especially at the base of doors, behind sinks in bathrooms, etc.
You can do this with the metal framing as well prior to sheetrock, if you are lucky enough to get there in time.

Old 04-05-07, 05:34 PM
J
On the doors you want to use trim screws so it's nice and solid, casing around the doors should be trim screws also. The windows and base you can use nails shoot them at an angle so they hold better. I do a lot of trim on metal studs and never had any issues, once the trim is caulked it's not going anywhere. BTW you have to use an air gun to do this hand drive nails will not work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: