Framing Question

Old 04-04-07, 12:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing Question

Hello,

I am currently in the finishing stages of framing my basement and have a question. Looking at various examples of basement framing I have seen some people place horizontal 2x4's between the current studs about halfway up the wall and I wasn't sure if this is something I should be doing. Possible reasons I can come up with include structural reasons or maybe fireblocking?

I don't want to complete another step if not needed especially since I already have 2x4 studs on 16" center.

Thanks

Old 04-04-07, 01:19 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The blocking you are referring to could be pre-planning for pictures and the like to hang. But, across an entire wall, probably not. In general, the firecode allows 10' vertical clear in walls before horizontal blocking is required. If in doubt call a local building official and ask.

Old 04-04-07, 02:42 PM
R
Blocking is required in bearing walls, not usually an issue in basement finishing framing.

Old 04-05-07, 05:39 PM
J
like Rockpro said the blocking mentioned is used in bearing walls to help against deflection, meaning the studs won't end up looking like bananas when the load is applied.

Old 04-06-07, 07:44 AM
S
Smile

Great info - thanks for the assistance!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: