alot of Black mold on my basement walls

Old 05-22-07, 05:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alot of Black mold on my basement walls

after the huge flood alot of black mold grew all over my sheetrock walls and floors what is the safest and best way to get rid of the mold? the walls are black mold and the floors are white fuzz mold.

Old 05-22-07, 07:23 PM
T
You are going to have to tear down the sheetrock and remove insulation and disinfect wall voids, floors, and every surface where there is mold. You need to set up fans to improve air circulation and run dehumidifiers to dry out the place. Depending upon depth of water in basement, you may have to replace outlets and wiring, but this is an electrical question for the electrical pros in the Electrical Forum. When tearing out and doing clean up, wear HEPA filter mask, gloves, and disposable coveralls. Do not track back into the upstairs with your shoes on in order to avoid spreading contamination.

Old 05-23-07, 09:54 AM
D
thanks,do you know how bad the mold may be and how long it takes to hurt someone?

Old 05-23-07, 10:51 AM
T
There is no way to know the extent of the mold until you tear into the walls. "How long it takes to hurt someone?" Some people are more sensitive than others to mold. Some can be in a moldy room for just a few minutes and have an allergic reaction. Not all molds that are black are Stachybotrys toxic mold which can kill you. There are toxic mold test kits available.

Old 05-23-07, 05:25 PM
As Twelvepole said, you must pull out your sheetrock and let your walls dry. It does not make any difference how long it takes mold to grow. Here is the real problem. Once sheetrock gets wet, it begins to melt. In a short period of time, it will turn to a pulpy mess that you will have to shovel out in a pail.
Usually in flooded homes and basements with sheetrock, homeowners get the sheetrock out of there in 3 or 4 days. Now for the mold. It is a growing organism. It loves cool and damp places. The best thing to do is to get it out of your house. The sooner the better. The longer it stays in your house, the it will become more expensive to get rid of.

Old 06-08-07, 05:05 PM
D
i removed everything but on the cinderblock the white fuzzy mold keeps coming back

Old 06-08-07, 08:25 PM
You might try washing it with white cidar vinagar. This is not the normal vinagar. I have had alot of luck killing white mold with it.

Old 06-09-07, 01:18 PM
D
can i get this at any food store?

Old 06-09-07, 09:26 PM
Yes you can. Apple Cidar White Vinagar.

Old 06-15-07, 11:48 AM
M
white fuzzy mold

Are you sure the white material is mold? Could it be efflorescence?

Efflorescence is a leaching of minerals from the concrete as water is wicked to the surface as it dries. Patches of efflorescence can make some pretty interesting "featherlike" formations, but it can also be a coating of white powder. I'm not sure what the best test is to tell the difference between it and white mold, but obviously one is organic and the other isn't. Some efflorescence is water soluble, I don't think mold is.

-Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: