how long until i can finish my basement?

Old 06-07-07, 03:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how long until i can finish my basement?

I bought a brand new home, it is now 4 months old, I have been told that i shouldn't finish the basement for about 8-12 months because that moisture needs to escape and the house needs to breathe. Any truth to that?

Also, my basement is only insulated half way up the wall, the bottom half having the foundation exposed. I have been told as well that i don't need to insulate it bcause it will not add any R value. True/false?

I hear different things from different people, and I want to do it right the first time and i definately dont want mildew or mold. Please give me your insight on your opinions.

Thank you

Old 06-07-07, 03:43 PM
J
Where are you?? Some climates need a lot of basement insulation, some not so much. If half the basement walls are above grade, you may need insulation to keep out the heat as well as cold. But a new house should have insulation on the outside, depending on local code. For walls below grade, the temp is usually the same years round, cool. This can cause condensation to form if the air is humid. So insulation may be needed on the part below grade. All the articles I have read suggest that EPS foam insulation is the best for most situations.

Old 06-07-07, 04:06 PM
F
i am in southern Ontario Canada, 200 km's north of Detroit Mich. only 16" of my basement is above grade. It gets pretty damn cold here in the winter. the grade of my lot sends water away from the house, no problems there.

most impotantly should i wait to finish it to let it breathe, there is moisture behind the vapour berrier.

thanks

Old 06-08-07, 03:43 AM
J
Putting plastic on the wall will alomost guarantee water on the wall. The moisture barrier has to breath, which is what EPS is supposed to do. It keeps warm moist air off the walls but lets the moisture out of the walls. 1 1/2" of EPS foam has R value of 7, certainly better than nothing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: