Old 11-26-00, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Ok, I have no idea on this that would be why I'm asking. But the house I am moving into, current in the basement, all of the water pipes are ran under the beams. Now my question is that would be be possible, or legal(?) to reroute them through the beams? They are currently the old pipes and I would also like to upgrade them to PVC, and that would be the other reason I'm asking. Since I'm upgrading, why not reroute.
Old 11-26-00, 03:22 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Since you're upgrading, why not use copper?

Yes, you can do this. Be sure to drill the holes exactly in the middle of the joist to avoid weakening the joist. Don't drill really big holes. Secure the pipes well to reduce water hammer noise.
Old 11-26-00, 07:50 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 154
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm going to diagree with John on this one. Deffenitly, DO NOT drill holes in the beams. Although frowned upon, you could drill an occasional hole in a joist, but run the new pipes, wheather copper or poly B under the joists.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: