basement bathroom/sewer cleanout line

Old 08-02-07, 08:39 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
basement bathroom/sewer cleanout line

we are remodeling our unfinished basement and would like to put a half bath there.

i can see the pipe that comes from the upstairs toilet, and as it comes down into the basement, it has a middle section with an iron screw cap on it about 3ft off the floor, then continues into the floor slab. a few feet away there is a hole in the slab with a broken plastic cap on it, and when you look down it, it turns 90 degrees right towards the pipe described above.

during the home inspection, the hole in the slab with the plastic cap was described as the "cleanout".

My questions is: can i use this pipe in the slab for a toilet? if i remove that iron screw cap on the other pipe, could that be the 'cleanout'?

if none of this makes sense, i can post some pictures.

Old 08-05-07, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! By all means, post some pictures. You can do it on a site such as photobucket.com, and give us the url's. Generally a cleanout is not duplicated, and is not located in the floor with another one so close by, so you may be in luck. By the same token, it may be a floor drain, in which case, you are back to square one. We'll see when we get the pix.

Old 08-06-07, 07:09 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use your nose

If the hole in the floor with the broken plastic cap has the odor of sewage, it probably doesn't have a trap in it and can be used for a toilet if it is the right diameter of course.

If it doesn't smell, it probably has a trap in it to block sewer gas, so you couldn't use it for solid waste from a toilet.

I would suspect being so close to the main stack, this pipe with the broken cap is a rough in for a future toilet. The screw cap on the main stack is your cleanout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: