Noises in my Attic

Old 08-07-07, 01:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noises in my Attic

I just my first home and I have always lived in apartment, so I do not know much about attic noises. My says that every once and a while (3 times in 6 months- both at night and during the day) she hears what sonds like boxes being dragged in our attic. Our attic is empty and does not have a floor (just insultaion). The noises are quick ( about a second or two)

What could this be?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-07, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the world of homeownership! Squirrels. Somewhere around the soffits or along the rake boards of the house is a hole big enough for them to squeeze in. Once in there, they are in heaven. Warm insulation to sleep in and breed in, a dry place for their food. Once you find the avenue of entrance to your house, don't immediately block it up. The squirrels will die in your attic and you will have to clean up the mess. Find the entrance, scatter moth balls in the attic area and wait a couple of days for them to leave. Then plug up the hole(s) to prevent their re-entry.

Old 08-07-07, 02:14 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Squirrels also love to chew on the insulation of electrical wires. A quick inspection of visible wires located near any nesting places would be advised.

Old 08-07-07, 07:37 PM
S
we recently had an issue with a rabid raccoon in our backyard. The local police came and took care of this problem. Do you think that this noise could be raccoons? I would hate to come face to face with a rabid raccoon during my inspection

Thank you

Old 08-07-07, 07:49 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Wear Leather Gloves and bring a club with you for your inspection.......LOL Don't fear, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Raccoons are large animals, you would have to have an opening the size of a watermelon somewhere to let something that big live in your attic. Racoons usually hang around and go after scraps in your garbage.

Old 08-08-07, 06:29 AM
T
An exterminator can make a visual inspection of the attic for signs of wildlife in the attic and can make recommendations for removal if this is not something you can do. Bats, squirrels, raccoons, mice, etc. can make entry into attics where they find a gap to enter. As indicated it is best not to seal any animals inside the attic due to odor problems. A mama squirrel will find a way chew her way back inside.

A recent event at my mountain cabin was a bat. The sound of dragging boxes is perfect. I got out of bed and started pounding on the walls. The noise stopped. Then it started again in the closet ceiling. I got out of bed again and pounded. The noise stopped. Then, it started in the hall. I pounded again. I left the hall light on. Then I heard it in the hall bathroom. I ignored it. Next thing I saw was a small bat fly by the door. He must have exited through the vent/light unit.

I jumped up and closed the bedroom door. I knew I couldn't stay in the bedroom if I had to go to the bathroom. I got up and turned on all the lights in the house and grabbed the can of bug spray. The bat was no where to be seen. I went back to bed with my book, leaving on all the lights. When I did go to the other bathroom, the bat was drowned in the toilet. I gave him a flush.

Old 08-08-07, 07:23 AM
a suicidal bat? how sad.

Old 08-08-07, 01:42 PM
C
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Don't ignore the obvious - ghosts!

Seriously, attic noise could be anything from squirrels, bats, birds or mice (racoons are doubtful - too smart and not enough food) to heat or wind related noises. Climb into the attic with a flashlight and look around. Unless you subscribe to the ghost theory, there's no need to bring along a baseball bat.

Look for signs of critters. Droppings, nests in the insulation etc.

On a side note my wife complained about heraring attic noisdes for a couple of months one summer. I scoured the attic and found nothing. Finally, one afternoon when she was in the bedrom she called me upstairs. A colony of paper wasps had actually chewed their way through the sheetrock ceiling and had opened a hole about inch in diameter through which a dozen or so wasps had crawled. I fogged the attic and later turned over the insulation. There was a nest the sze of a softball between the insulation and the ceiling.