Making basement floor smooth for painting

Old 08-20-07, 10:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Making basement floor smooth for painting

I recently had flood waters in my finished basement. The carpet was ruined so I pulled it all and tossed it. It was the attached juteback (foam) pad and I managed to scrape most of that up as well. HOWEVER, there is all kinds of yellow stuff on the concrete that I'm guessing is carpet glue.

Is there an easy way to get that off and back to regular concrete so I can just paint the floor? It's just me and I'm over 50 and am doing it myself. Tearing up the old carpet etc took me over 8 hours. I'm pooped

Thanks to any and all who can advise what to do.

Old 08-20-07, 10:36 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What have you tried so far? Did you see how tough it would be to scrape it? You can try scraping it up with a scraper. Being that there was flood in there, I would think some of the water would have helped and soaked a little on that glue which will make the scraping easier. It'll take some elbow grease. It that doesn't work, I'd try sanding it.

Old 08-20-07, 11:12 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've tried to dry it out but we have more rain and it's still damp. The yellow stuff that I think is glue is pretty flat on the concrete and I have 3 rooms of it. Water doesn't seem to be making a dent in it.

Old 08-20-07, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I doubt there is an easy way to clean it up. Scraping is pretty much the preffered method. I doubt there is any way out of using lots of elbow grease

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: