Framing walls around basement window?

Old 08-20-07, 03:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing walls around basement window?

The windows in my basement are touching the sill plate. How do I go about framing the wall that will be in front of the windows? Can I just frame a small wall that is level with the bottom of the windows?

Old 08-20-07, 08:53 PM
A
I'm assuming that you have 4' of concrete wall and then a knee wall built on top of that. The sill plate you are talking about is fastened directly to the top of the concrete wall and therefore the bottom of the window is only an 11/2" above the concrete wall. To frame this wall you can either build a short wall like you said and cap the wall with a 1x6 or 1x8 depending on how you want to trim it out. The other way we build these is to build a full wall in front of the concrete wall, leave an opening in the wall for the window, and then when you trim out the window you rip a 1x10 or 1x12 to whatever width it needs to be to go from butting into the window to the outside of your finished drywall or paneling and then you put casing around that. Whichever way you decide, you need to make sure that you can easily access the window and that it is fully operational.

Old 08-21-07, 12:44 PM
C
Frame the wall with a hole for the window, the hole should be the same size as the window buck. There are several possible ways to finish the sill and sides. The easiest would be a wood sill and drywall the sides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: