Standard or minimum window sill height?

Old 09-04-07, 09:05 AM
jkm
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Standard or minimum window sill height?

Hi, we are adding a dormer to our semi-finished attic and have had our plans approved. Our contractor wants us to choose a casement window for the project, to meet egress requirements. The wall is short. We are considering whether we could actually manage to use a double-hung window, without it looking funny by being too close to the floor.

Is there a standard or minimum distance from the floor for a window sill? I have seen references to 36 inches. I have been told the Boca code, which my city uses, only has a maximum height, not a minimum.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-07, 03:47 PM
Check what is required. Most codes have minimums for egress windows, but rarely maximums. IRC says, max. sill height, is 44", min. opening height is 24", min. opening width is 20".

Old 09-04-07, 04:50 PM
Yes, there are minimuns for how far the sill can be off the floor. It varies throughout the country. It has to do with the safety of someone accidently falling against the window and falling through it. In your post you spoke of two different types of windows. Your contractor suggested a casement window, which is a crank out type. You talked also about a double hung.
I would go with the casement. Good Luck