Basement wall Intersecting a beam

Old 09-14-07, 11:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Basement wall Intersecting a beam

One of the walls in the basement is going to intersect the steel beam. How do I frame the wall so that It will fit around the steel beam?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just use your existing joisting and build a box around the beam using regular framing lumber. It doesn't have to be attached to the beam (but it doesn't hurt). Basically you will be building a soffit to surround the beam, and cover it with either sheetrock, or whatever you plan on covering the ceiling with. Suspended ceiling is a little tricky, but doable.

Old 09-15-07, 04:30 AM
D
Thank you fro your answer but thats not exactly what I was asking, although I probably would have been asking it soon. The partition wall I need will be about 7' long. At about 4' the wall will run into the steel beam. What I was wondering is do I build the whole wall so that its lower than the steel beam or just the section of the wall that will be under the beam?

Old 09-16-07, 05:25 AM
D
Can someone please help?

Old 09-16-07, 08:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I re read your initial post, and you didn't say anything about an unusual intersection of a beam at 4' off the floor. Now, so we all can have good information to work with, let us know all there is to know about this "beam", and how you plan to walk under it even after you build this wall. Or is the beam to be part of the wall. Information is all we work off of. A few pictures of the project on a site such as photobucket.com will help, too.

Old 09-17-07, 04:11 AM
D
First I must apologize. I have done a terrible job describing the situation. The steel beam is the steel support beam that the floor joists rest upon. The wall will run perpendicular to the steel beam. If I build the wall tall enough so that it reaches all the way to the joists the steel beam is in the way. If I build the wall short enough to fit under the steel beam than the wall is to short to reach the joists. Do I just build a section of wall on each side of the steel support beam or is there a way to frame the wall will a kind of "notch" that will fit around the beam while still allowing the rest of the wall to make contact with the joists.

Old 09-17-07, 11:27 AM
T
I would notch it as you describe.

If it were ME (not being a pro, but a DITer finishing his basment) I would....

1) Cut the bottom plate to the proper length.
2) Measure and cut a top plate from one end of the bottom plate to the distance to the support beam.
3) Measure and cut another top plate from the beam to the other end of the bottom plate.
4) Measure and cut FOUR studs. NAil one on each end of the bottom plate.
5) Nail each end of the top plate to it's end stud.
6)Take the other two studs, lay them in place under each "open" end of the top plates. Square them up and nail.
7) nail in the rest of the studs. I'd start from one end, place them 16" OC and just skip over the two in the middle. If a stud falls in between the two middle studs, save it for last. The idea is to be sure you have a stud every 16" OC (with maybe the middle one (or both) being "extra."
8) Now, measure a 2X4 to fit between the two middle studs and nail them through the sides to create "top plate" just below the height of the beam.
9) Finally, if you need to get a stud between the two middle studs (under the beam) at 16"OC it should be pretty easy to measure and cut it to fit under this new topplate.
10) Stand up the wall.

Good luck!
TOm