Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Sealing between window well and concrete foundation?

Old 10-07-07, 12:16 PM

The previous owner of our house installed 5' deep metal window wells, attached to a concrete foundation. We've had severe flooding problems, any rain simply ends up in the window wells, and most of it is coming the the sides of the window wells (between a gap in the window well flange the is bolted into the concrete and the concrete itself). We've had to have the carpet replaced twice.

GENERAL NOTE: Most of the remodel work done by the previous owner is pretty shoddy. In this case, the window wells are not bolted to the foundation (as far as I can see 18" down, they might be bolted down further), there are plantings around the window well that I think are allowing more water in, and the sandstone patio stone is sloped toward the house.

I'm sure we can re-grade the sandstone, and eliminate the planting issue, but is there anyway to effectively seal these gaps between the window well and concrete foundation? I'm worried that water is coming in 2-3 feet down into the window well (I'm not sure it's coming in horizontally there, it may be leaking vertically down then in).

Should we simply re-excavate and redo these wells? Any advise appreciated.

THanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 12:47 PM

Do you have a drain to cary the water in the well away? - If not, sealing may not be a good idea.

Could the water be coming up from below?

Old 10-07-07, 06:09 PM
I can watch the water come in from the sides...

Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Do you have a drain to cary the water in the well away? - If not, sealing may not be a good idea.

Could the water be coming up from below?
We've tested it and water pours in from the sides, squeezing between the window well and the concrete foundation---not below. There's 6" of gravel in the window well and it will drain some, but not the amount flowing in...

Old 10-09-07, 07:22 AM
Do you have a tile drain system for the foundation? Typically window wells are connected to this drain system. Sealing only works if the water has somewhere else to go (usually via gravity). If you have standing water in the wells after raining, there is some excavating in your future.