Framing around steel support posts?

Old 10-20-07, 12:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing around steel support posts?

Can anyone give me some advice on framing around the steel support posts in my basement. I have layed out the floor plan so that I can hide them all in walls but I have a few questions.

1. The diameter of the posts in larger than the width of a 2x4. Should I frame using 2x6 or do I have another option.

2. One posts sits right where I need to put a corner. Can I drill into these posts and attach studs with countersunk bolts in order to have something to attach the sheetrock? If not, how do I deal with this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 09:27 AM
S
I am currently in the process of finishing up my basement project and decided to frame around an open post as well. What I did is used PT 2x4's attached to the floor to form the base. Because I wanted to minimize the size of the frame as much as possible I cut the 2 pieces in the center so that they followed the curve of the pole without touching (As a result in the center of the pole the base is only about 1.5" wide.)

With the base secured (I used adhesive and Ramset) I then completed the framing by attaching a total of 4 2x3's around the frame running from the base up to the ceiling. I would be hesitant to drill into the pole.... With only painting and trim left to go it looks nicely finished.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-07, 03:55 PM
C
nice idea but not the same thing

Sounds like a good solution. I'm trying to do something a little different. My posts need to be inside the walls, to include the one on the corner.

Old 10-24-07, 04:13 AM
G
I framed mine using metal studs with drywall one post was in the wall and one out in the open. My posts were 3 1/2" O.D. so they fit inside the wall with no problem. Depending on what type of room is on either side of your wall you could frame it flush on one side and then have a little "bump out" on the other side and the same goes for the corner. I could send you a pic on how to frame this if you like. Like you said the other option is to use 2" x 6" framing for all or part of the wall to conceal it too. That would be the easiest to do in the long run.
What is the O.D. of your post?

Old 10-24-07, 06:33 AM
S
Shim the wall

You could always shim one side of the wall.

Put the one edge of the wall flush with the edge of the pole so you can sheetrock right over the pole. On the other side of the wall, cut shim strips by ripping down a 2x4 and attach the strips to the face of the 2x4 studs on the other wall so this wall is flush or even a little proud of the other side of the pole.

Old 10-24-07, 09:14 PM
C
The posts are 4" O.D. I hadn't thought of shimming...that might work. What would be the advantage of that over framing with 2x6?

Old 10-25-07, 05:11 AM
S
You asked for an option

Time wise, it will take longer to shim because you have to rip a bunch of shims from a 2x4 but won't cost as much as 2x4s are less costly than 2x6s. That's about the only advantage of shimming.