Moisture Meter Help . . .

Old 11-29-07, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a decent moisture meter, nothing too cheap or too expensive, for an amatuer like myself to use to check wood moisture levels inside the house and in the crawl space periodically? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 10:28 AM
Google "moisture meter" & take your pick...

BTW - I can understand someone with new construction wanting this type of apparatus, but why do you think you need it for an existing building?

Last edited by George; 11-29-07 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add information
Old 11-29-07, 02:48 PM
Moisture Meter . . .

I'm a little on the obsessive side

Old 11-29-07, 05:31 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Id buy a Humidity meter before a moisture meter. You can them at radio shack that will have a remote sensor on it and check the RH in your crawlspace from your living room.

Old 11-30-07, 11:42 AM
Thanks!

I want one of those, too

Old 11-30-07, 12:41 PM

What do you think you need a good moisture meter for, besides being obcessive?

Once you know the moisture content of the wood, what are you going to do about it? The moisture of the wood in a home is determined by the air conditions, which you can use a humidity meter for. - that is what you need in addition to patience to get a realistic reading.

If the wood is in contact with the soil or concrete, you can assume it is relatively high, but not easily controlable based on the results from a cheap moisture meter.

My moisture meter costs abot $450, but if I was to get more serious about making important decisions, I would up grade with probes that tell you the real moisture content (like flooring installation, leakage investigations, etc.)

The cheaper metters give you some results that MAY be indicatve, but you need experience to know where they are leading you and possibly require a real unit instead of a toy.

Old 11-30-07, 12:59 PM
Thanks again for the info . . .

When we had a couple of people come over to the house over the last few years to check for fungus in the crawl space and attic moisture stuff, and they had this cool meter they just held up to the wood and it would show the moisture content in the floor joists and roofing. And we've just fixed (hopefully) a leaking patio that was leaking for years before we realized it, and I thought it would be nice to have one of those meters to check things out periodically when the obsessive beast reared its ugly head

Old 11-30-07, 03:31 PM

What you saw was probably a scanner or shallow moisture meter. It does not measure the moisture more than 1/4" into the wood because it is influenced by the recent air conditions.

Some meters like this will measure both the "surface scanned" moisture. If you want to accurately measure the real internal moisture, you will need probes that penetrate.

Depending on the material, you can also get short probes for measuring moisture content before putting in flooring or you can get longer (4") probes to find the moisture in the fiberglass in the walls. You can also get specialized meters that are more convenient to use on different materials.