Trim then Carpet or Vice Versa

Old 12-25-07, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trim then Carpet or Vice Versa

Am nearing the end of my basement remolding. Don't know if I should hand doors, trim them and put in baseboards before carpeting or not. My preference is to carpet first (so I can start to use the basement) and take my time this winter doing the doors, trim and baseboards. However, don't know if this is right approach.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-07, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Generally the wood work is installed before carpet. The base is raised just enough so the carpet can be tucked under it. Some will opt to install base board aftrer carpet - mostly with a low pile carpet.

The biggest drawback to carpetting first would be keeping the carpet clean while doing the carpentry and painting.

Old 12-25-07, 07:04 AM
C
Received 96 Votes on 75 Posts
Since you are doing the trim yourself, I would opt for doing the carpet first. If you were hving the work done by contractors, I would recommend the carpet last.

Old 12-25-07, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Trim or carpet

Hi vsaunders
I'd go with what marksr said. Tho i noticed no-one mentioned the doors. I'd hang the doors, leave them long, then take 'em down and store 'em out of the way. Then put up your base trim, holding it off the floor about 3/8-1/2 in. Will everything be carpet? Base your gap on the carpet thickness, not including the pad. Don't forget to hold the door casing up off the floor as well.

After carpet install, remeasure the doors and trim for clearance, then hang.

Doing it this way will make it easier to install level and straight. Keeps the carpet cleaner too.

Best in 2008

Old 12-26-07, 10:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you lay carpet first, make sure to tell your installers you're intending to install trim later and to space the tac strips away from the wall accordingly. Otherwise, if tac strips are up tight against wall, the trim will sandwich the carpet on top of the tac strips which will make carpet removal at a later date, impossible. If you're installing trim and doors first, leave 3/8" clearance. I left less under my door frames. Installer said that was fine. They were still able to tuck it under the door frames, but gap was so tight it created a bubble in the carpet around the door frames.