Jack Post (Permanent or temporary?)

Old 12-25-07, 07:47 AM
Jack Post (Permanent or temporary?)

Greetings....I have a older wood frame home with a large crawl space. The floors had some sagging issues so I replaced the rock and wood post supports with 'Tiger Brand' jack post. Mainly on the center beam and they seem to be doing a good job.
My question is, Can I rely on these jack post to do a long-term job or are they only for temporary use?
The house is only 900sf and the new jacks have raised the floor slighty and are doing their supporting job....which brings me to one last question, These jack supports are more or less just "supports" right?...Raising the floor up more is not the jack supports function?.. or can I keep raising the jack post to level the floor out even more?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-07, 08:23 AM
Depends. This is how we determine if a steel column can be considered "permanent" during home inspections here in Chicago:

http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/...ustcolumn.html

Old 12-25-07, 08:33 AM
I am not sure if i can answer your question, hopefully one of the contractors will get back to you on that, there may be some issues as you raise the beam further as far as stress being placed laterally on the foundation walls and perimeter lumber (esp. since its an older house)...anyways, i just wanted to comment on the fact that your jack post will probably not be a "long-term" fix unless you poured an appropriately sized footing for it to bear on. i would like to assume that you did but making assumptions gets you into trouble.

Old 12-25-07, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by OhioDraft View Post
I am not sure if i can answer your question, hopefully one of the contractors will get back to you on that, there may be some issues as you raise the beam further as far as stress being placed laterally on the foundation walls and perimeter lumber (esp. since its an older house)...anyways, i just wanted to comment on the fact that your jack post will probably not be a "long-term" fix unless you poured an appropriately sized footing for it to bear on. i would like to assume that you did but making assumptions gets you into trouble.
Sorry..I should have mentioned the jack post are sitting on concert pads bought at Home Depot (4x14).
Yes...I understand about the stress on the walls,etc. But was hoping doing small adjustments over time will slowly bring floor and walls back close to original condition....That is if jack post can handle the futher raising of floor? Here are the jack post used.
http://www.tigerbrandjackpost.com
Their rated like 18,000. LB.
Thanks

Old 12-25-07, 09:19 AM
I certainly would not risk setting interior posts on a 4"x14" big box precast concrete pad that is probably sitting on leveled dirt. - Especially if it is a framed roof and not trusses.

You could easily have way less than 3000# in the strength of the pad and soil and you are worrying about an 18,000 capacity post?

Old 12-25-07, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Depends. This is how we determine if a steel column can be considered "permanent" during home inspections here in Chicago:

http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/...ustcolumn.html
Thanks...that was a informative read. It was interesting that it list companies that sell permanent adjustible supports and Tiger Brand was on the list which is what I used, but I think I will contact them to make sure the series I used are indeed the permanent type.