DRYlok, some on the concreate floor...

Old 12-30-07, 11:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DRYlok, some on the concreate floor...

I am having someone put the Drylok on my concreate block and I just went down in the basement and there is drylok splattered on the concreate floor.. Is that ok???? Should he be putting plasic down so none of the drylok gets on the concreate floor? Will it do harm?

Old 12-30-07, 11:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The drylok won't hurt the floor but that doesn't make it look good Whenever possible I try to use cardboard for a drop. If cardboard isn't available I'll use an old drop cloth.
You might be able to scrape up the majority of it with a putty knife.

Old 12-30-07, 12:08 PM
D
Originally Posted by marksr
The drylok won't hurt the floor but that doesn't make it look good Whenever possible I try to use cardboard for a drop. If cardboard isn't available I'll use an old drop cloth.
You might be able to scrape up the majority of it with a putty knife.
He just got the walls where the storage is going to be.. I;m going to be putting down flooring in the future though but someone told me to paint the floor first...
He is coming back tomorrow... I am going to give him cardboard to put down. I also have plastic the he an use...

If you don't do it yourself, I guess you can't have it done perfectly... For $175 I couldn't go wrong... He was here today for 5 hours and got a walla and a half done. That stuff sounds like a b***h to put on.....

Old 12-31-07, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The biggest mistake folks make when applying drylok is not applying it heavy enough. The trick is to "flood" the surface so the drylok both penetrates and fills all the little holes in the cinder block. Basically you slop it on and then smooth it out. IMO it is only marginally harder to apply than most paints but then I've painted for over 40 years

Old 12-31-07, 10:08 AM
C
Is there anything wrong with getting drylock on the floor, I know that its not recommended for this purpose, but I cannot imagine that it would hurt.

Old 12-31-07, 02:18 PM
D
I;m going to give them the drop plastic so they dont get anymore on the floor.

I wanted to paint the floor with the DRYLOK Concrete paint. Is that good to use? Do I need to get that dripped drylok paint of of the concrete floor before I put the DRYLOK Concrete paint on it?

Old 12-31-07, 03:22 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Does your floor leak?

Old 12-31-07, 05:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint drips on the floor look unproffessional and my customers always hired me for a pro job

The drips on the concrete won't hurt anything other than the looks. They can be painted over but will probably look better if you scrape the majority of them off first.

I can't remember the last time I painted a concrete floor. Paint on concrete is always prone to peel - sooner or later. I usually recomend using a concrete stain instead of paint.

Old 01-01-08, 04:39 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
imn-s-hfo, 'drylock' products're,,,

only good for making work since they're not the silver bullet most're expecting to resolve damp walls ESPECIALLY for concrete masonary,,, so, since i believe they're worthless, spills on a conc floor wouldn't upset me.

Old 01-01-08, 11:49 AM
D
No leaks through the concrete floor but I wanted to put that drylok concrete paint down for preventative in case down the road and to cut down on the dust, etc... I have a few cracks in the floor. I bought the UGL Masonary caulk in the tubes to go around the perimeter of the floor/wall to seal and also the cracks in the floor...

Old 01-03-08, 02:18 PM
D
Well they are done... Did the 2 coats... Went to inspect.. I see a few 'pin' holes... I am going to go over and fill those in.. I am also going to put a another coat where the wall is 'underground'.

It was a 'sloppy' job in a sense that there was a lot of drips and drylock on the basement floor... I am going to clean up the 'chunks' of drylok by scaping it up... Going to clean and put the Drylok concrete paint on the floor.

Question, I noticed they dripped on the furnace gas pipe. Should I be concerned? Should I try and get that srylok off the furnace gas pipe?

Old 01-04-08, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The drylok on the gas pipe won't hurt anything other than looks.

Old 01-04-08, 06:41 AM
D
The drylok on the gas pipe won't hurt anything other than looks.
Thanks marksr!!! Was a little nervous there... don't want to mess with gas and have the house explode! I'm new to all of this house stuff

I see he got some on some of the the hot water pipes ffrom the furnace .... Will that cause any issues? Should I try and get it off from that?

Old 01-04-08, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Drylok won't hurt the water pipes. It may peel off of a hot water pipe over time.

Old 01-30-08, 04:37 PM
M
I am in the mix of doing my basement with drylok and its not that easy at first. If you read the directions on the 5 gallon buckets it does say you can paint it on the floor 8-10 inches away from the wall if you want....so it wont hurt the floor. I will agree....its NOT fun painting it on but oh my lord does it stink!!!! Luckily I had a respirator with the correct filters while putting it on.

On the walls that I have one coat on it pretty much stopped the leaking but there are a couple places where it managed to loeak through again. It took quite a while to leak through though. It didnt happen right away. I just gotta take a wire brush to those spots again and start over. Oh yeah, you REALLY gotta brush the heck out of the walls that were previously painted in order for the drylok to work. There is alot of preparation involved and I think that is the number one reason why it may not work for some people.

Old 01-31-08, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While the oil base drylok might be marginally more effective than the latex version, IMO it's not worth the odor difference!

Stopping the water on the exterior is always best! Be sure that the gutters are routed away from the house and employ any other means so you don't have to totally rely on the drylok.

Drylok is a good product but it should never be the sole means of preventing water infiltration.

Old 01-31-08, 07:12 AM
A
I painted an outdoor storage shed floor that was concrete and apparently had no vapor barrier under it---so it would get damp from the ground. It worked great for that. The floor stays dry now.

Old 02-01-08, 07:32 PM
M
While the oil base drylok might be marginally more effective than the latex version, IMO it's not worth the odor difference!

Stopping the water on the exterior is always best! Be sure that the gutters are routed away from the house and employ any other means so you don't have to totally rely on the drylok.

Drylok is a good product but it should never be the sole means of preventing water infiltration.
I actually tied all my downspouts into the sewer drain out front. The front two were already done but the back two werent and now they are.

I didnt have a choice of what kind of Drylok to use. The only thing they had there was what I bought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: