removing a support post from basement

Old 01-03-08, 06:26 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing a support post from basement

good day everyone and happy new year..

so one of my resolutions is to finish the basement this year and i have a simple question that may raise some serious issues...

i live in a townhouse (middle townhouse) and my basement is a poured foundation with a 6" Ibeam (16ft) from one to the other...now that beam is resting on 2 concrete pillars, one on either end(which im guessing is the house support as well)... in the middle of that beam is the support they usually put in the basements, those steele tubes with the threaded piece that connects the floor to the beam (sorry im not familiar with the name)...

my question is can i remove that support post? i was talking to someone and he believes that you can put some sort of angular support brackets in between the ibeam...

since the there is no load bearing specifically on that post do you think its possible? i was told that the purpose of the post was to prevent the floors from moving when we walk...

any help or opinions are very appreciated...
thanks

Old 01-03-08, 06:35 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The "formal" answer to your question is that your local building department almost certainly requires that structural modifications of this sort designed by an engineer or architect.

The informal answer is "Why do you suppose the architect or engineer who designed the structure of your house put a support column there?

Old 01-03-08, 07:45 PM
jack posts or tele posts are what your referring to.
i do agree with Michael Thomas. there is a reason that it is there. you may have a direct load point in that area, or even the dimensions of that beam is not suffient to carry the load of even just the floor with only being a 2 point load system. i would talk to your local building inspector before risking damage and liability

Old 01-03-08, 08:17 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
inkredable1

1) Is the beam metal or wood? 2) Is the middle column a single piece of steel with a screw at one end, or is the column the adjustable "telescopic" type made of two steel tubes where one slides inside the other?

If the column is it's the one-piece type it's likely a critical structural component original to the design of the house. If it's the latter type, it more likely to be a retrofit intended to deal with a bouncy or sloping floor or a sagging or cracked beam.

In either case you need to determine it's function before attempting to modify/remove it, but in the latter case you may have more options to change things so it can be removed.

Old 01-03-08, 08:27 PM
I
thank you for your prompt response...

the pole seems to be the one you are describing, which is the tube within the other tube...on the base of the tube is a threaded rod on a metal plate...i believe the top is the same...

i know that in this case you said that there were other options for support...the reason i want to remove it is because the space is so small that it would allow me to have twice the open space with it gone...

is it just as easy as calling the city and asking to speak to a building inspector or is there a utility online that should allow me to see/calculate its load bearing purpose...

thanks

Old 01-03-08, 08:29 PM
see your building inspector, pass the liability to them

Old 01-04-08, 07:29 AM
M
Any building official I've ever dealt with isn't going to take any liability, it's not their job. They are going to tell you to get a structural engineer to tell you - as well you should.

I've seen these type of posts used in new construction as well as retrofits - I like them because they can be adjusted if need be (example being that a house settles over time creating a hump in the floor - they then can be lowered a little). At least the option is there.

Most beams whether it be steel or wood, will have intermittent support posts like the one you are describing, they don't necessarly need to have a point load above them. It's a cost thing, if you had a beam that would clear span the whole basement without intermittent supports, the cost of the beam would be way higher, too much to justify - therefore this is the accepted method of contruction.

Bottom line is you are playing russian roulette if you decide to remove that post without consulting a structural engineer. I can guarantee the post was not put there for no reason (as noted before).

Old 01-04-08, 02:43 PM
I
thanks for taking the time to respond...

its not like i would just remove the post...i know that i has some functionality or it wouldnt be there....in this cost cutting era of home building im sure that the builders wouldnt throw in something that would be a waste of cash...

i was just wondering if you have come across some sort of support that could be used instead of that adjustable post.

thanks

Old 01-07-08, 07:12 AM
M
I know of nothing that will do the same job as that post, without having the post. You can find all kinds of load bearing posts, all shapes and sizes that look really good but they all have one thing in common, they are all posts that will go from the concrete floor to the underside of the beam. So either way you are stuck with a post. Sorry.

Old 01-07-08, 03:01 PM
I
this was more of an angled brace whose purpose would be to eliminate the post all together...

i may just build around it and save the headaches..

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: