Basement Design

Old 01-09-08, 11:44 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Design

The following is the layout of our basement.

All the exterior walls are studd out and we're ready to start building. We bought the house with the basement like this so it is not our design.
We are stumped on a few small issues.
We have decided the large room will be our rec room(bottom left corner). However the opening leading to that room is only 33 inches. This is to small for a doorway. As a result we thought about framing that opening up and putting in a door right at the bottom of the staris to the left leading into the rec room.
THe main issue we are concerned about is the placement of a door and walls for the bathroom and other 2 rooms. The bathroom will have to be right in front of the stairs (as the circles show) plumbing purposes.
The other room would be to the top right(right off the room to the bottom right)

We'd love to get some more input on what you'd do.

Thanks

Old 01-09-08, 09:32 PM
C
Personally I would want to have the stairwell as open as possible, whether or not this means moving a wall. Framing is going to probably be the easiest part of the basement project.

I would knock out the middle wall running horizontal in the picture (and maybe move it next to the support beam) and then remove the yellow walls that are in front of the stairs. This way you have an open area when you come down the stairs which helps it not feel to basmenty.

Then you could build a little L shapped hallway on the right and make two bedrooms with doors, since both will have windows you can call them bedrooms. Then you can have the short part of the L turn towards the exit door.

How many bedrooms does your house have now.

Old 01-10-08, 04:14 AM
C
I neglected to mention that the 2 horizontal (middle) walls in the picture are support walls and cannot be moved. As a result
(I would knock out the middle wall running horizontal in the picture (and maybe move it next to the support beam) is impossible...

We have 3 bedrooms now

Old 01-10-08, 11:07 AM
D
Originally Posted by con771 View Post
The following is the layout of our basement.

All the exterior walls are studd out and we're ready to start building. We bought the house with the basement like this so it is not our design.
We are stumped on a few small issues.
We have decided the large room will be our rec room(bottom left corner). However the opening leading to that room is only 33 inches. This is to small for a doorway. As a result we thought about framing that opening up and putting in a door right at the bottom of the staris to the left leading into the rec room.
THe main issue we are concerned about is the placement of a door and walls for the bathroom and other 2 rooms. The bathroom will have to be right in front of the stairs (as the circles show) plumbing purposes.
The other room would be to the top right(right off the room to the bottom right)

We'd love to get some more input on what you'd do.

Thanks
Wow.... just wanted to ask, how did you do that????? What siftware product did you use to create that.... i need it!

Old 01-10-08, 05:44 PM
C
Originally Posted by con771 View Post
I neglected to mention that the 2 horizontal (middle) walls in the picture are support walls and cannot be moved. As a result
(I would knock out the middle wall running horizontal in the picture (and maybe move it next to the support beam) is impossible...

We have 3 bedrooms now
Then I would say create an opening to the room on the left, and leave it open, beyond that I would need to see pictures to really get a good idea of what we are looking at

Old 01-11-08, 08:37 AM
G
gsr
Door way...

You mentioned 33" is to narrow for the doorway? Is wider code in your area or do you just want your doorways wider? My newly framed basement has 30" & 32" doors that all meet code for our area.

Old 01-12-08, 02:57 PM
gsr is on the right track, but a 30 or 32" door wouldnt leave enough room for the door frame. But a 2'4" door would work and they are actually used frequently as interior doors for the higher end production homes ive been drawing lately. And are you sure the walls are load bearing? that would mean there would need to be a footing underneath them because the floor slab itself is not structural. the typical beam and post construction would make more sense to me, and in that case you can create the rooms in any way you wish. if the walls are structural, well, i would do somethin like this:

Old 01-13-08, 07:00 AM
C
I'm sure the walls are load bearing (structural) and there is a footing underneath them. The reason they went with full structural walls is because they used prefab trusses for the support under the mainfloor. (these run at 90 angles to the support walls in the basement) where the trusses join you get the support walls running the length of the joins.

I like the design the only question I have is can I open up the door at the bottom of the stairs to a larger opening like you have designed and it still be up to code for loadbearning?
In other words if I remove part of the wall how can I ensure the structure is still sound?

Old 01-13-08, 12:18 PM
Yes, you can create a wider opening. You'll notice that the wall you speak of already has a door in it. This means that there is a header above the door way with jack studs or posts on the sides that carry the load above around the door and to the concrete footing. then just think of it as adding a much larger door. You will have a longer, deeper beam supported on either end with the appropriately sized post or jack studs. The only consideration will be if there is a footing below the area where these posts will be and if it is big enough. this is because the existing footing supports a more continuous load from the wall. By opening the wall up you are concentrating more load at the two endpoints of the beam.

Using the same convention, you could replace both of those structural walls entirely with the right size steel I beam supported at certain intervals by posts set into concrete footings. thats why i asked if you were sure the walls were structural because it makes less sense for the designer to limit your basement from the getgo when there is an alternative way to carry the floor load above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: