Raising Corner of House - Questions

Old 01-13-08, 03:09 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Raising Corner of House - Questions

So I'm following this: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...t1/raising.htm and have all the stuff to do it, but I have a couple questions...

I'm starting at a corner, and the house is in the city of Minneapolis built in the 1920's. It doesn't look like the floor joists are attached in any way to the foundation, they look to be just sitting on top. I don't know how to position the 4x6 that is going along the ceiling, other then it has to be close to the ends of the joists. I won't be able to get it under the far outside floor joist (?) that runs all the way along the top of the foundation on the side of the house, because it is sitting right on the concrete blocks.

Do I tie it somehow to the next one in, that i can get under?
Or do I have to remove one of the blocks to gain access?
It seems like the majority of the weight of the side of the house would be right there...

Old 01-13-08, 05:07 PM
S
Not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you need to pop out a block or stone from the foundation wall in order to get under the outside of the house.

Old 01-14-08, 10:11 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if there's 1 thing to remember,,,

its that those guys got paid & they're gone,,, this is an extreme specialty & you, probably, don't have the insurance in case there's trouble.

i rais'd my own 150 yr old house yrs ago but NOT without help from two very good friends in the housemoving biz,,, no way i would've done it otherwise on my own,,, & then, it took 4 wks.

1st, don't start at the corner - you need to ' spread the load ' along the lifting line ',,, if the joists aren't secure, more bracing'll be nec,,, STEEL bracing, not wood.

Old 01-14-08, 10:59 AM
S
I second so-elitecrete's emotion on this topic. When you say your "starting at a corner" it sounds like your going places with this, and that may not be a good thing. The method described in your link is really only suitable for addressing small, locallized problems, and short dimensions--not trying to raise your whole house to accomodate some sort of addition, etc.. That's a whole different ballgame: many large jacks, beams, skill, experience, etc..

Old 01-14-08, 11:24 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is "WAY" out of the realm of DIY..... Been there, done that - back in college when I tried to level my Landlords shack in an attempt to reduce rent...... Many more problems raised than solved...... Get help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: