Creating an Attic Access

Old 01-14-08, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Creating an Attic Access

I'm wondering how to install an attic access in my home. The house is 40 years old with no access to speak of. If anyone can give me some know-how that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by jolfert29 View Post
I'm wondering how to install an attic access in my home. The house is 40 years old with no access to speak of. If anyone can give me some know-how that would be great.
how much access do you need? 2 ft. by 2 ft.? or larger? a small access hole can be placed in a closet close to the center of the house very easily. find a place that will give ample headroom upon entering, and cut a hole between the ceiling joists in the drywall. frame in the hole with matching materials, add a lip to retain the cover and build and insulate the cover. a ladder, step-stool, etc. will be needed obviously. either permanently installed or removeable.

Old 01-14-08, 09:42 PM
S
As another suggestion, call your local building inspector to obtain "minimim code" OPENING measurements for your area. Some areas require a large enough attic opening to allow a fireman with their air tank to enter the attic. Simple phone call to your local building inspector folks to determine what measurements are best.

Old 01-15-08, 04:40 AM
F
Attic Access

Most Codes require a 22x30" opening. There are several products you can install into the ceiling to provide an insulated sealed opening. Google "attic access".

Old 01-15-08, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Do you have drywall or plaster?

The premise is the same but you need to use more care with plaster so you won't damage the surrounding plaster.

btw - welcome to the forums!