removing broken nails from concrete

Old 01-27-08, 02:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing broken nails from concrete

I have taken up carpet from my concrete basement floor and when I removed the carpet strips, many of the nails broke off at the head. I want to acid-stain the concrete floor but have to remove the rusty broken nails that have no heads. The nails are sticking only about 1/8 inch from the surface of the concrete. What is the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Attempting to pull the nails will only succeed in breaking up a small area of concrete around each nail. The best idea is to grind them flush with a grinder and leave the remainder embedded in the cement. These nails are hardened, so you'll eat through blades faster than normal. A 4 1/2" grinder and several 1/16 x 4 1/2" metal cutting wheels should do the trick.

Old 01-27-08, 06:52 PM
G
do you really need to remove them just try to hammer them down in to the cement, yes i know easier said the done but if they up only a 1/8 inch its possible do beat them into the cement

Old 02-05-08, 01:38 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with XSleeper, I once nailed a steel stud channel down, decided it needed to be moved over, had to pull it up. Some of the nails came out clean just by using a hammer, others left big holes, and ended up just grinding the rest down flush. Quickest, cleanest, easiest.

Old 02-05-08, 01:57 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
here's what we do,,,

pull the gripp'r strips incl nails,,, we then fill the spall'd conc w/patching cement,,, sika's 1 brand avail at hdlowe'sacehdwe,,, if they don't pull/spall out, we hit 'em w/diamond blade on a 4" grinder,,, yes, the acid'll look different on the patch,,, you can't get 5gal of wtr into a 4 gal bucket nor can i & we're pro's.