Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

having basement count as square footage?....help?

Old 02-04-08, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm wanting to make sure that whatever I do with my basement that I can still count it all as square footage for resale someday.
the link below shows the whole basement setup and what I'd like to do.

From what a buddy has told me..in order to qualify rooms in basement you have to have stairs that enter into a finished part in order to get to the other finished parts. And that they have to be conditioned, flooring and ceiling.

Also, is my escape door in the garage ok for the rest of the basement...or is that irrelevant?

any suggestions with ANYTHING that comes to mind would be great! thanks yall

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...571290_437.jpg

Last edited by spazmonkeyy; 02-04-08 at 07:57 PM. Reason: corrected link
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
All is fine, but without means of egress in rooms A,B & C, you can't classify them as "bedrooms".

Old 02-05-08, 02:31 PM
conditioned by room D, but on garage side.

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
All is fine, but without means of egress in rooms A,B & C, you can't classify them as "bedrooms".
If you look at my diagram again, there is going to be a door
on the green wall to be built that will allow for exit
through the garage. So that should be fine right?

Even though the stairs is conditioned, its technically
on the other side of room D's wall...does that
matter?

My goal here is to be able to count room A-D ALL
square footage upon resale. People can use room A
and C for bedrooms if they wanted to regardless.

thanks yall

Last edited by spazmonkeyy; 02-05-08 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added sentence to clarify
Old 02-05-08, 03:49 PM
"Bedrooms" must have closets. You will need to check with your local authorities to see if that door will suffice as an egress door. Most times, you have to exit directly to the outside, and the garage may put a kink in this. I just don't want you to feel as if you can advertise these rooms at a later date as "bedrooms", although you can count the square footage. And, I see no bathroom, which won't work as a space for bedrooms.

Old 02-05-08, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In my corner of the woods, a finished basement not only can be counted in the total square footage, but brings a smile to the property tax assessor's face. Cha Ching.

Old 02-07-08, 11:12 AM
As far as I know, real estate ads are pretty subjective and not governed by any regulations (maybe they are in some nanny states?). For example, some count garages, some don't. It's really up to the agent. But as noted above, you may have code issues with calling them bedrooms. Call them bonus rooms, media rooms, home offices, whatever.

Old 02-07-08, 01:36 PM
I don't doubt the basement can be counted in the square footage, but you have to be careful how you describe the space. That is what I was concerned about. The area is finished, heated, and had inside access, so it is square footage of the house.

Old 02-07-08, 02:19 PM
Interestingly enough - I met with my realtor yesterday - and she told me that, in St. Louis, a finished basement does not count towards square footage of the house..... Makes me wonder if the 400sq. foot media room/wet bar/wine cellar I just installed was worth it....

Old 02-07-08, 02:57 PM

Different areas can have different definitions of what is "square footage".

Usually, bedrooms below grade an be counted as liveable area and used in the area calculation to determine the value of the home for financing purposes. "Walk-outs" fall into a gray area, since the obviously have an at grade exit.

Finished and heated is one thing and does not always classify a space as living space. If you can legally count a bedroom a liveable because of easy exit (legal egress window in the room or the distance to an exterior door) then you have livable space by code.

Fortunately, all homes in an area are classified by the same rules for assesment/valuation purposes.

Dick